1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Intro Math Rigorous math/physics self teaching material?

1. Apr 17, 2015 #1
    Hi guys,

So, I'm a high school senior about to graduate, and because of reasons, I most likely will not be attending a college next year. However, I will apply to colleges next year for a Physics major. In the meantime, I would like to use my time wisely, and I was thinking that the smart thing to do would be to get as comfortable as possible with as advanced mathematical tools as possible by the end of this year to be able to comfortably go through my first couple of years in college -- and possibly finish in three years. So my thinking is that I should go through a regular math major curriculum while reading the Feynmann lectures on physics over the year. If you think that that would not be the right thing to do over this year, please let me know. Otherwise, any textbooks/courses/opportunities you can recommend are more than welcome.

I am on track for a good score in the AP Physics C and the AP Calculus BC as well AP Computer Science so far, and these will be my highest qualifications by the end of the year. Note that I am very studious, and while not incredibly gifted academically, I am considered bright. I have the option to go CC for a year, but the thought of studying in a place which would be a replica of high school is awfully daunting, and I would much rather study by myself than learning in an environment I will most likely dislike.

Thank you!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 18, 2015 #2

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

It's unlikely you can thoroughly teach yourself vector calculus, linear algebra, and differential equations in one year.

If you don't take any courses at community college, what's the plan for finishing college in 3 years? Taking lots of courses per semester? - going to summer school? You need to have a certain number of credits on your record.

As a general rule, self-taught people are not comfortable! - at least they are not more comfortable that students who are not extensively self-taught. Typically a self-taught person hits some roadblocks in his self-teaching, so his knowledge of a given subject is uneven. As a worst case, he might sail his way through the first five weeks of a college course effortlessly, become over confident, and get hopelessly lost in the last part of the course.

4. Apr 18, 2015 #3

verty

Homework Helper

5. Apr 18, 2015 #4
    If you want a good book for teaching mathematics as applied to physics, try Mary Boas' "Mathematics Methods for the Physical Sciences".

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted