Rigorous math/physics self teaching material?

In summary, it seems that you want to learn advanced mathematical tools in order to go through your first couple of years in college comfortably. However, it is unlikely that you can do this in one year and it is better to take courses per semester.
Quantaliinuxite
Hi guys,

So, I'm a high school senior about to graduate, and because of reasons, I most likely will not be attending a college next year. However, I will apply to colleges next year for a Physics major. In the meantime, I would like to use my time wisely, and I was thinking that the smart thing to do would be to get as comfortable as possible with as advanced mathematical tools as possible by the end of this year to be able to comfortably go through my first couple of years in college -- and possibly finish in three years. So my thinking is that I should go through a regular math major curriculum while reading the Feynman lectures on physics over the year. If you think that that would not be the right thing to do over this year, please let me know. Otherwise, any textbooks/courses/opportunities you can recommend are more than welcome.Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Quantaliinuxite said:
to get as comfortable as possible with as advanced mathematical tools as possible by the end of this year to be able to comfortably go through my first couple of years in college -- and possibly finish in three years.

It's unlikely you can thoroughly teach yourself vector calculus, linear algebra, and differential equations in one year.

If you don't take any courses at community college, what's the plan for finishing college in 3 years? Taking lots of courses per semester? - going to summer school? You need to have a certain number of credits on your record.

As a general rule, self-taught people are not comfortable! - at least they are not more comfortable that students who are not extensively self-taught. Typically a self-taught person hits some roadblocks in his self-teaching, so his knowledge of a given subject is uneven. As a worst case, he might sail his way through the first five weeks of a college course effortlessly, become over confident, and get hopelessly lost in the last part of the course.

If you want a good book for teaching mathematics as applied to physics, try Mary Boas' "Mathematics Methods for the Physical Sciences".

Ther are also the Openstax.org books on math and physics that may be helpful too.

and the mathispower4u.com website of short math videos.

Make sure you have the basics down to a T. The basics include algebra,geometry,trig.

What was the last math class you took. Was the material in the class at an adequate level or was it more of the "dumb down" stuff?

Going over the above topics again, to feel in holes, is probably the best thing you can do.

I like Serge Lang: Basic Mathematics.

The Feynman Lectures are nice. But they can be a bit hard to learn from, even for people that have taken physics classes at the university.

I won't dissuade you from reading them. But supplement it with a standard intro physics textbook.

Brilliant (dot org) has online self-study courses at several levels. Their format is to have a paragraph of explanation, immediately followed by a question (and answer) so you don't read too far without checking your understanding.
They are under $100 for a one-year subscription, and with some googling, you should be able find a 20% discount code, last I checked. Just make sure to unset the auto-renew after a day or two.

1. What is the best way to approach self-teaching rigorous math and physics material?

The best approach to self-teaching rigorous math and physics material is to start with a strong foundation in the basics. Make sure you have a solid understanding of algebra, trigonometry, and calculus before moving on to more advanced topics. It's also important to have a clear goal and a plan for what you want to learn and how you will approach it. Practice regularly and seek out additional resources such as textbooks, online lectures, and study groups to supplement your learning.

2. How do I know if the material I am using is rigorous enough?

One way to determine the rigor of the material is to look at the level of detail and complexity in the explanations and examples. Rigorous material will often include proofs and mathematical reasoning to support concepts and formulas. You can also consult with other experts or experienced self-learners to get their opinion on the rigor of the material.

3. What are some recommended resources for self-teaching rigorous math and physics?

There are many resources available for self-teaching rigorous math and physics, including textbooks, online lectures, and practice problems. Some recommended resources include "Principles of Mathematical Analysis" by Walter Rudin, "Introduction to Electrodynamics" by David J. Griffiths, and the "MIT OpenCourseWare" website, which offers free online lectures and materials for various math and physics courses.

4. How can I stay motivated and disciplined while self-teaching rigorous math and physics?

Self-learning can be challenging, but there are ways to stay motivated and disciplined. It's important to set realistic goals and break them down into smaller, achievable tasks. Reward yourself for completing each task and track your progress to stay motivated. Find a study partner or join a study group to hold yourself accountable and discuss difficult concepts. Finally, remember to take breaks and give yourself time to rest and recharge.

5. Can self-teaching rigorous math and physics lead to the same level of understanding as a formal education?

While self-teaching can be a valuable way to learn, it may not always lead to the same level of understanding as a formal education. Formal education often includes access to experienced teachers and hands-on learning opportunities that can be difficult to replicate on your own. However, with dedication and hard work, self-teaching can still lead to a strong understanding of rigorous math and physics material.