Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ring moves on curved path faster

1. Jun 23, 2013 #1

apr

A ring on curved path (say on bent rod) will move longer distance than the one moves on straight line in same interval of time (the two rings are released simultaneously - one moves on curved path and other one moves horizontally) - How to explain? by which principle one can explain?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 23, 2013 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Do you have a diagram to illustrate what you mean? Assuming I understand you correctly, why do you think the two rings taking different paths will travel from A to B in the same time?

4. Jun 23, 2013 #3

rcgldr

Homework Helper

My guess is that the original poster question is similar to which path is best for gravity to pull a ring on a frictionless wire to get from point A to point B in the shortest time. If the goal is to get the same time as a straight line from A to B, then the path of shortest time could be modified in numerous ways to get the time to be the same.

5. Jun 23, 2013 #4

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

This is the so called Brachistochrone problem: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brachistochrone_curve and is usually solved using the calculus of variations but the resulting curve depends crucially on the setup hence Doc Al's request for a diagram.

6. Jun 24, 2013 #5

apr

Sorry I don't have the diagram. The question asked me over the phone by a teenager - I replied as said by rcgldr in previous post here. But not satisfied really.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook