1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ring theory- zero divisors and integral domains

1. Feb 20, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Consider the ring Z/mZ, show that S = {[0], [a], [2a], · · · , [m − a]} forms a (possibly
    nonunitary) subring of Z/mZ when a divides m. (i.e. show that (S,+, ·) is closed
    the usual addition and multiplication. (We are not require to find a multiplicative identity).

3. The attempt at a solution

Since a divides m then m=ab so I tried subbing in ab for m and got [m-a]=[ab-a]=[a(1-b)]... but not too sure where to go from here. From looking at the set S it does not seem to be closed under addition or multiplication? Just a hint at how to go about/start/ approach this question would much appreciated! THank you!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 20, 2013 #2

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Well, let's check closure under addition. Two general elements of ##S## look like ##[ra]## and ##[sa]##, where ##r## and ##s## are integers. So what is ##[ra] + [sa]##? Evaluate it in the ring ##\mathbb{Z}/m\mathbb{Z}##, and see if the answer is in ##S##.

4. Feb 21, 2013 #3
    OK, I see how to prove it now- the addition of two elements of S will always give a number which is a multiple of a, therefore will be an element of S. (Similarly for multiplication)...?

(Thank you)

5. Feb 21, 2013 #4

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, similarly for multiplication.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook