Find the zero divisors and the units of ##\mathbb Z[X]/<X^3>##

  • Thread starter Thread starter mahler1
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Units Zero
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
mahler1
Messages
217
Reaction score
0
Homework Statement

Find the zero divisors and the units of the quotient ring ##\mathbb Z[X]/<X^3>##


The attempt at a solution

If ##a \in \mathbb Z[X]/<X^3>## is a zero divisor, then there is ##b \neq 0_I## such that ##ab=0_I##. I think that the elements ##a=X+<X^3>## and ##b=X^2+<X^3>## are zero divisors because we have

##ab=XX^2+<X^3>=X^3+<X^3>=<X^3>##.

I couldn't think of any other divisors so I suspect these two are the only ones. Am I correct? If that is the case, how could I show these are the only zero divisors?

As for the units I don't know what to do. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
 
Physics news on Phys.org