1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Showing that a ring is an integral domain

1. Apr 12, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Show that ##\mathbb{Z} [\sqrt{d}] = \{a+b \sqrt{d} \ | \ a,b,d \in \mathbb{Z} \}## is an integral domain

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Do I have to go through all of the axioms to do this? For example, do I have to show that it is an abelian group under addition, that multiplication is associative, and that the distributive property holds, on top of showing that multiplication is commutative and that there is a multiplicative identity and that there are no zero divisors?
    This would seem like a lot of unnecessary, but easy, work, so I was wondering if there is a faster way.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 13, 2017 #2

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

Well, most of these attributes are quite obvious by the arithmetic rules in this ring. The essential part here is to see, that you don't get zero divisors from such extensions. If you want to go the long way, then you have to do it, but only for terms with ##\sqrt{d}## in it, the rest is inherited from ##\mathbb{Z}##. Since ##d \in \mathbb{Z}##, the shortest answer is probably ##\mathbb{Z}[\sqrt{d}] \subseteq \mathbb{R}##. But it makes sense to convince yourself that ##\mathbb{Z}[\sqrt{d}]## hasn't zero divisors, which is short enough to do and shows which properties of ##\mathbb{Z}## are actually used, in case a ring isn't the integers.

4. Apr 13, 2017 #3
    If I am trying to show that ##\mathbb{Z}[\sqrt{d}]## has no divisors, do I proceed by a contradiction argument, such as, assume that ##(a+b \sqrt{d})(c + e \sqrt{d}) = 0##, and show that ##a=b=c=e=0##?

5. Apr 13, 2017 #4

fresh_42

Yes. And if you do it step by step, you see the properties of the integers which are needed, e.g. it isn't true for ##\mathbb{Z}_6[\sqrt{d}]##.

6. Apr 13, 2017 #5
    Well if I expand it out and compare the two sides I get the two equations ac + bed = 0 and ae + bc = 0, but I don't see how this shows that a = b = c = e = 0

7. Apr 13, 2017 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

This integral domain is actually a field. You should be able to show every non-zero element has a multiplicative inverse. That would show that it's an integral domain.

8. Apr 13, 2017 #7
    I don't see how every element has an inverse. For example, what is the inverse of ##2+\sqrt{2}##? It can't be ##1-\frac{1}{2} \sqrt{2}##, because ##1/2## is not an integer.

9. Apr 13, 2017 #8

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Oh right, sorry. I forgot you were working over the integers, not the rationals. Nevertheless, if there are no zero divisors over the rationals, there won't be over the integers. Correct?

10. Apr 13, 2017 #9
    So how can I show that there are no zero divisors?

11. Apr 13, 2017 #10

fresh_42

You have ##ac + bed = 0## and ##ae + bc = 0##. What does this mean for ##ace##?

12. Apr 13, 2017 #11

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Pick an arbitrary nonzero element of the ring and write down its inverse. Say why it's always well-defined.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted