Rings and Homomorphism example (1 Viewer)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
Give an example of a ring R and a function f: R---->R such that f(a+b)=f(a)f(b) for all a,b in R. and f(a) is not the zero element for all a in R. Is your function a homomorphism?

2. Relevant equations
Let R and S be rings. A function f:R----->S is said to be a homomorphism if
f(a+b)=f(a) + f(b) and f(ab)=f(a)f(b) for all a,b in R

3. The attempt at a solution

Not really sure where to start here,
I was thinking about using Zn as my ring, perhaps with n as a prime number, so that way f(a) wouldn't be zero for any a. but i don't know what my function would be to satisfy that. Any help would be greatly appreciated =)

can the ring be a division ring?

I don't think so, because I don't think we've learned about division rings yet lol

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
but i don't know what my function would be to satisfy that.
By "that", do you mean f(a+b)=f(a)f(b)?

That's an easy problem -- if you want f to satisfy that, and if you don't know a particular value of f, then the equation tells you how to compute it!

I don't think that is what I need to do. It asks to give a specific ring and function that fits those specifications. Like for ring Z,
f(x)=x^2, but that doesn't work.

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
If you're going to look for a ring and a function for which f(a+b)=f(a)f(b) is satisfied, you might as well use that equation to help you figure out what f should be. *shrug*

I'm not sure if I follow you here, should I just plug in values from the ring and see if I can notice a pattern? I am just completely lost with this problem, I don't even know which ring I should use.

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Even if you don't notice a pattern, it will help you get started narrowing down a few specific values of f.

What ring to use? You had a few ideas you wanted to try, right? Do those! Or... you could start with values that every ring has. (e.g. 0, 1, 2...)

I seriously have been looking at this for at least an hour now and have made no progress.... I have tried the ring of even numbers, just Z, the ring Z5. I just don't know what to do, I'm not exactly an expert at the whole rings thing yet.

matt grime

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
What kind of functions do you know that turn addition into multiplication (or vice versa)? That's what the question is asking you.

Thank you so much! I didn't even think of the exponential functions. I got that my function was obviously not homomorphic since f(a+b) did not equal f(a)+f(b) and f(ab) was not equal to f(a)f(b). I think I was just too tired at the moment to think of that function. Thanks for the help everyone!

matt grime

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
That isn't quite the right reasoning for why such a map cannot be an homomorphism. Why can't f(a)f(b) equal f(a)+f(b)? Just because the expressions look different doesn't mean that they are, really. Just take the possibly illegal case of the ring with one element :0.

But the question is trivial since it provides a reason why f can't be a homomorphism in its own statement: you are told that f(a) is never 0, and homomorphisms send 0 to 0. Note that the question precludes the example of the ring with one element from being considered.

The Physics Forums Way

We Value Quality
• Topics based on mainstream science
• Proper English grammar and spelling
We Value Civility
• Positive and compassionate attitudes
• Patience while debating
We Value Productivity
• Disciplined to remain on-topic
• Recognition of own weaknesses
• Solo and co-op problem solving