1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

RLC Circuit help - Trying to find Vs

1. Feb 5, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Hi All,

First time post so please excuse if i proceed in an irregular fashion.

I have the following query with regards to finding Vs on the attached JPEG. I have gained the total Z value for the circuit using both the XC & XL Values, however without having been given a I value or Vs value is there a way in which i can find the Vs value therefore allowing me to answer the question 1c (shown on the JPEG attachment for the current flow). Is there where i would need to be looking to draw a Vector diagram to find Vs values? Although i have researched and found that to be an option i still believe that the information i have, at hand, to be insufficent.

Any helpful explanations will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Regards

Dan

2. Relevant equations

?

3. The attempt at a solution

Phasor diagram/ Vector Diagram?

2. Relevant equations

2. Relevant equations

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 5, 2013 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

I think you'll want to leave Vs as a variable and write the answers as expressions in terms of Vs. This is assuming that the problem doesn't specify the magnitude and frequency of the source Vs.

While you could use phasor diagrams to work out the problem, it might be easier to work with complex-valued impedance (if you've covered that in your course).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook