RLC Circuit help - Trying to find Vs

In summary, the poster is asking for help in finding the value of Vs in a circuit problem. They have the total impedance of the circuit but do not have the values for current or Vs. They are wondering if drawing a vector diagram could help them find the value of Vs, but they believe they do not have enough information to solve the problem.
dan2188

Homework Statement

Hi All,

First time post so please excuse if i proceed in an irregular fashion.

I have the following query with regards to finding Vs on the attached JPEG. I have gained the total Z value for the circuit using both the XC & XL Values, however without having been given a I value or Vs value is there a way in which i can find the Vs value therefore allowing me to answer the question 1c (shown on the JPEG attachment for the current flow). Is there where i would need to be looking to draw a Vector diagram to find Vs values? Although i have researched and found that to be an option i still believe that the information i have, at hand, to be insufficent.

Any helpful explanations will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Regards

Dan

Homework Equations

?

The Attempt at a Solution

Phasor diagram/ Vector Diagram?

Attachments

• 20130205_143513.jpg
    20130205_143513.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 409
Physics news on Phys.org
dan2188 said:

Homework Statement

Hi All,

First time post so please excuse if i proceed in an irregular fashion.

I have the following query with regards to finding Vs on the attached JPEG. I have gained the total Z value for the circuit using both the XC & XL Values, however without having been given a I value or Vs value is there a way in which i can find the Vs value therefore allowing me to answer the question 1c (shown on the JPEG attachment for the current flow). Is there where i would need to be looking to draw a Vector diagram to find Vs values? Although i have researched and found that to be an option i still believe that the information i have, at hand, to be insufficent.

I think you'll want to leave Vs as a variable and write the answers as expressions in terms of Vs. This is assuming that the problem doesn't specify the magnitude and frequency of the source Vs.

While you could use phasor diagrams to work out the problem, it might be easier to work with complex-valued impedance (if you've covered that in your course).

1. What is an RLC circuit?

An RLC circuit is an electrical circuit that contains a resistor (R), an inductor (L), and a capacitor (C) connected in series or in parallel. It is also known as a tuned circuit or a resonant circuit.

2. How does an RLC circuit work?

An RLC circuit works by producing an oscillating current or voltage when an alternating current or voltage is applied to it. The resistor, inductor, and capacitor work together to create a resonant frequency, which is the frequency at which the circuit is most responsive. At this frequency, the circuit can store and release energy efficiently.

3. What is the difference between a series and parallel RLC circuit?

In a series RLC circuit, the components are connected in a single loop, with the same current flowing through each component. In a parallel RLC circuit, the components are connected in multiple branches, with the same voltage applied across each component. The behavior and characteristics of the circuit, such as impedance and resonance, differ between series and parallel configurations.

4. How do I calculate the voltage across a resistor in an RLC circuit?

To calculate the voltage across a resistor in an RLC circuit, you can use Ohm's law, which states that voltage (V) is equal to the product of current (I) and resistance (R). In an RLC circuit, the voltage across the resistor is also affected by the inductance and capacitance, so you may need to use other equations, such as the impedance formula, to accurately calculate it.

5. How can I find the value of Vs in an RLC circuit?

The value of Vs, or the source voltage, can be found by analyzing the circuit using Kirchhoff's laws, which state that the sum of the voltages in a closed loop is equal to zero and the sum of the currents at a node is equal to zero. By applying these laws and using the given values for the components in the circuit, you can solve for Vs. Alternatively, you can also use a multimeter to measure the voltage directly.