1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rocket Project - need to find mass of rocket to reach 15 m altitude

1. Mar 15, 2013 #1
    Rocket Project -- need to find mass of rocket to reach 15 m altitude

I have a project for grade 11 physics, i have to create a rocket that reaches precisely 15 m altitude, and all Im given is the thrust profile of the engine (force(N) vs time(s) graph)

It is an Estes A8-5 engine

i have used calculus to integrate and find the impulse, which is 2.50N*s, total burn time is 0.7s

im stuck, i cant find the mass without the acceleration, i cant find the acceleration without the final velocity after burn.

ive tried everything i can think of, even energy problems, cant seem to figure it out.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 15, 2013 #2

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What exactly are you supposed to come up with? Mass of rocket?

Final velocity is zero, right, if it's supposed to go just 15m? And is that miles or meters?

4. Mar 15, 2013 #3

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

A critical question is whether you need to take into account the reduction in fuel mass during ascent. If so, you need to develop and solve the differential equation for a rocket. Otherwise, energy should be the way. you know the total energy the rocket delivers, and you know the height to be reached.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted