1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rockets on a car's effect on velocity?

1. Mar 1, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    a rocket is on a car. the car is going to the right. a rocket is fired at 45 degrees angle towards the right. what is the change in velocity (if it changes at all)

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I was imagining like a gun firing, and therefore there would be recoil. so i said it decreases the velocity. but my friend says it doesnt change... i am confused

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 1, 2009 #2
    So the car is moving to the right and the rocket fired such that a force is being felt to the left or to the right? Either way, why do you believe the velocity changes?

The Bob

4. Mar 1, 2009 #3
    i simply thought it like the firing of a gun, and the gun will recoil backwards. but i guess theres the pressure of the barrel to take into account. why DOESNT it change tho?

5. Mar 1, 2009 #4
    What effect does the rocket have on the car's velocity if it is firing upwards and to the right?

6. Mar 2, 2009 #5
    I didn't say it didn't change. What we want to see is what you think the right answer is and why. Then we can see which part of the problem, specifically in explanation, is causing you problems.

The Bob

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook