Rockets approach: time they meet w.r.t. rocket A?

In summary: This is due to the relativity of simultaneity. Therefore, their perception of the distance between them will also differ. This is why the three approaches do not match. The only approach that will give the correct answer is calculating everything in the frame of Earth, as this is the inertial frame of reference for this scenario.
cdorman2
This is an IB problem from November 2017. Two rockets are separated by 6E8m (2 sec x c, or two light-seconds), w.r.t. Earth, and are approaching Earth from opposite directions. Rocket A approaches from left at 0.6c. Rocket B approaches form right at 0.4c.
According to Earth, when do they meet? I get 2sec. All seems good.

According to A, how fast is B? Using Lorentz transformation for velocity, I get 0.81c. All seems good.

According to A, how long until A and B meet? So I treat the rockets as if in a train car moving right, with rocket A at the far left of the car (stationary w.r.t. the car) and B moving leftward (at 0.81c w.r.t. the car) from the right end of the car. The car is two light-seconds long, w.r.t. Earth.

I use v=0.6c in gamma to change the time of the event (rockets coming together to meet). I use gamma to transform Earth's perception of an event of 2sec to an event w.r.t. A of 1.6sec.

But if I do this a different way, finding the initial distance between rockets w.r.t. A and then using rate x time = distance (all w.r.t. A), I get 0.81c x time = 2sec x c/gamma (gamma = 5/4, using v=0.6c). Therefore, time=1.98sec.

I tried using the Lorentz transformation for time, to get a tie-breaker, but had no luck. I got t'=gamma(using v=0.6c) (t-vx/c^2) = 5/4 (2sec - 0.6c (2 sec c)/c^2) = 1sec.

Thanks for any help in pointing out where I'm making my mistakes.

Physics news on Phys.org
I moved the thread to our homework section.

In the reference frame of A the rocket B is not 2 light seconds away when the scenario starts - and not 2 light seconds divided by gamma either. Relativity of simultaneity makes the view of A and B more complicated. Calculating everything in the frame of Earth is much easier here.

Thank you.

Okay, so we can't just divide time (2 seconds) by γ. A and B should agree on rate (w.r.t. each other) and distance from each other, so they should agree on how long until they meet (rate ⋅ time = dist). But dividing by two different γ (using v or u) gives two different lengths, which shouldn't be their observation: the asymmetry in their speeds (0.4c vs. 0.6c) arises only from Earth's perception.

S' is A's frame of reference. View B as moving left in A's FOR. View A's FOR as a train car moving right at 0.6c w.r.t. Earth. So use the formula
Δt'=γA w.r.t. Earth(Δt-vA w.r.t EarthΔx/c2)
(=1.25(2 sec - 0.6c 2 sec ⋅ c / c2)= 1 sec)​

I suspect we can do this problem another way, finding Δx' and then using rate ⋅ time = distance.
Δx'=γA w.r.t. Earth(Δx-vA w.r.t EarthΔt)
(=1.25(2 sec ⋅ c - 0.6c ⋅ 2 sec)= 1 sec ⋅ c)​
Using rate ⋅ time = distance gives 1 sec ⋅ c/0.806c = 1.24s. (No match. Hmm.)

We can further try to confirm our answer by verifying that A and B agree on how much time they'll take to meet. After all, their perception of each other's speed should match, being independent of Earth perception.
Δt'=γB w.r.t. Earth(Δt-vB w.r.t EarthΔx/c2)
(=1.19(2 sec - 0.4c ⋅ 2 sec ⋅ c / c2)= 1.43 sec)​

Three approaches and none match, when I expected them all to match. What went wrong?

cdorman2 said:
A and B should agree on rate (w.r.t. each other) and distance from each other
Distance when? They can't even agree on this "when" because events that happen at the same time for A do not happen at the same time for B.

1. What is the concept of "Rockets approach"?

The concept of "Rockets approach" refers to the time it takes for two rockets, A and B, to reach a common point in their respective trajectories. This point is known as the meeting point and is where the two rockets will physically intersect.

2. How is the time they meet calculated?

The time they meet is calculated by finding the difference between the distance traveled by each rocket and dividing it by the difference in their respective speeds.

3. What factors affect the time they meet?

The time they meet can be affected by various factors such as the initial distance between the two rockets, their speeds, the direction of their trajectories, and any external forces acting on the rockets.

4. Can the time they meet be calculated for any two rockets?

Yes, as long as the initial conditions and parameters of the two rockets are known, the time they meet can be calculated using the appropriate formula.

5. How is the concept of "Rockets approach" relevant in real-world scenarios?

The concept of "Rockets approach" has practical applications in fields such as space exploration, aerospace engineering, and air traffic control. It allows for the calculation of the time it takes for two objects, such as rockets or airplanes, to reach a common point, which can be crucial for coordinating safe and efficient movements.