Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story

Tags:
  1. Apr 7, 2016 #1
    A trailer is out now:

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 8, 2016 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

Great!

Someone figured out that Star Wars was more than a serial story as this is a side-story which make for a richer set of movies in the future i.e. if we all don't get tired of Star Wars.

The new character seems to be a female version of Han Solo just like Rey as the female succesor to Luke.

4. Apr 8, 2016 #3
    Question: Why didn't you buy Disney stock back in 2012 when they bought Lucas Films (if you did congrats)? With Star Wars they have an infinite number of side stories to create movies with that will sell.

5. Apr 8, 2016 #4

DHF

While this story looks very promising, I hear it is the first in a series of side stories, the next one slotted for 2018 is a Han Solo & Chewy Origin story, for this I weep. I think with Rouge One they have a great idea, a story that has never been told that tucks neatly into the Star Wars timeline. However doing an origin story on an extremely beloved and generations old character.....has never proven to be anything but disastrous.

6. Apr 9, 2016 #5
    This is basically what I feel too. Rogue One could add some spice to the franchise (due to it being a pretty good basic idea IMO), but when it comes to the other ideas (Han Solo film & Boba Fett film) I am less hopeful. But time will tell...:smile:

7. Apr 11, 2016 #6
    The wave of the future.

8. Apr 11, 2016 #7
    Oh yeah... so you didn't hear then??? Then next one off movie was supposed to be Han & Chewy. But now it is all about Jar Jar. Disney felt that he didn't get enough coverage in episodes 2&3

9. Apr 11, 2016 #8

DHF

You got jokes.

10. Apr 17, 2016 #9
    Why is every one so mean to Jar Jar? (he is my favourite character)

11. Apr 18, 2016 #10
    I think its cause he changed the tone of the movie too much.

12. Apr 18, 2016 #11
    It needed it, it was getting too serious.

13. Apr 18, 2016 #12
    He was the straw that broke the camels back in the movie.
    You take a questionable plot
    Laughable fight scenes
    Questionable casting choices (age difference between anakin and natalie portman)
    Killing off 2 of the best characters
    AND JarJar?!

Have you seen on Youtube "What if Episode 1 was good" The guy has now carried his plot changes through the 3 movies and come up with a much more coherent plot line.

14. Apr 18, 2016 #13
    well they could have done with out Malon in OOT

15. Jul 17, 2016 #14
    Some more teasing...:wink:
    ROGUE ONE: A Star Wars Story 'Celebration' TRAILER (2016)

16. Jul 17, 2016 #15
    First I've heard of this, but explains the license plates I saw on a Nissan Rogue a few days ago. The plates just had "ONE" on them. I imagine that nerd is very smug.

17. Aug 12, 2016 #16
    A new trailer....

18. Aug 27, 2016 #17

Ibix

Science Advisor

Is anyone else bothered by how fast they're moving the Death Star's main laser dish into place? I mean, I know this is the Empire and they have tractor beams and stuff, and they don't have health and safety regs, and they do have Vader and Tarkin explaining that deadlines are called deadlines for a reason. But the Death Star is 120km across, according to Wookiepedia, so we're looking at something on the order of 30km across moving at around a kilometre per second into mounting that fits it exactly. Could get messy.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/MST3KMantra

19. Aug 27, 2016 #18
    I love this conversation. It reminds me to hang with normal people as little as I can get away with.

20. Aug 27, 2016 #19
    Having qualified as coxswain on an LHA (size of a WWII Essex-class carrier) I had to wince at that a bit. But obviously the force was with them.

21. Aug 28, 2016 #20
    I did in fact watch the Youtube episode, and the guy does have a point. The thing with those movies is that they needed to be directed by Elia Kazan, not George Lucas. Lucas should have brought back the directer from Empire Strikes Back--and I cannot think of the guy's name right now, and if I go and check it I'll lose this. Damn!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted