Who was the true hero behind the Rebel Alliance's victory in Rogue One?

In summary, the new trailer for Rogue One: A Star Wars Story features a lot of discussion about the plot and the characters. Some people are worried about how fast the Death Star's main laser dish is being moved into place, while others are concerned about the potential consequences of rushing the project. There are also jokes about Jar Jar Binks and the negative reception to his appearance in the movie so far.
DennisN
Gold Member
2023 Award
A trailer is out now:

Likes Imager, Drakkith, Ryan_m_b and 1 other person
Physics news on Phys.org
Great!

Someone figured out that Star Wars was more than a serial story as this is a side-story which make for a richer set of movies in the future i.e. if we all don't get tired of Star Wars.

The new character seems to be a female version of Han Solo just like Rey as the female succesor to Luke.

Question: Why didn't you buy Disney stock back in 2012 when they bought Lucas Films (if you did congrats)? With Star Wars they have an infinite number of side stories to create movies with that will sell.

While this story looks very promising, I hear it is the first in a series of side stories, the next one slotted for 2018 is a Han Solo & Chewy Origin story, for this I weep. I think with Rouge One they have a great idea, a story that has never been told that tucks neatly into the Star Wars timeline. However doing an origin story on an extremely beloved and generations old character...has never proven to be anything but disastrous.

DHF said:
I think with Rouge One they have a great idea, a story that has never been told that tucks neatly into the Star Wars timeline. However doing an origin story on an extremely beloved and generations old character...has never proven to be anything but disastrous.
This is basically what I feel too. Rogue One could add some spice to the franchise (due to it being a pretty good basic idea IMO), but when it comes to the other ideas (Han Solo film & Boba Fett film) I am less hopeful. But time will tell...:smile:

jedishrfu said:
The new character seems to be a female version of Han Solo just like Rey as the female succesor to Luke

The wave of the future.

DHF said:
I hear it is the first in a series of side stories, the next one slotted for 2018 is a Han Solo & Chewy Origin story, for this I weep.

Oh yeah... so you didn't hear then? Then next one off movie was supposed to be Han & Chewy. But now it is all about Jar Jar. Disney felt that he didn't get enough coverage in episodes 2&3

You got jokes.

Why is every one so mean to Jar Jar? (he is my favourite character)

TheQuietOne said:
Why is every one so mean to Jar Jar? (he is my favourite character)

I think its cause he changed the tone of the movie too much.

It needed it, it was getting too serious.

He was the straw that broke the camels back in the movie.
You take a questionable plot
Laughable fight scenes
Questionable casting choices (age difference between anakin and natalie portman)
Killing off 2 of the best characters
AND JarJar?!

Have you seen on Youtube "What if Episode 1 was good" The guy has now carried his plot changes through the 3 movies and come up with a much more coherent plot line.

well they could have done without Malon in OOT

Some more teasing...:wink:
ROGUE ONE: A Star Wars Story 'Celebration' TRAILER (2016)

First I've heard of this, but explains the license plates I saw on a Nissan Rogue a few days ago. The plates just had "ONE" on them. I imagine that nerd is very smug.

Likes RogueOne
A new trailer...

Is anyone else bothered by how fast they're moving the Death Star's main laser dish into place? I mean, I know this is the Empire and they have tractor beams and stuff, and they don't have health and safety regs, and they do have Vader and Tarkin explaining that deadlines are called deadlines for a reason. But the Death Star is 120km across, according to Wookiepedia, so we're looking at something on the order of 30km across moving at around a kilometre per second into mounting that fits it exactly. Could get messy.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/MST3KMantra

Ibix said:
Is anyone else bothered by how fast they're moving the Death Star's main laser dish into place? I mean, I know this is the Empire and they have tractor beams and stuff, and they don't have health and safety regs, and they do have Vader and Tarkin explaining that deadlines are called deadlines for a reason. But the Death Star is 120km across, according to Wookiepedia, so we're looking at something on the order of 30km across moving at around a kilometre per second into mounting that fits it exactly. Could get messy.

I love this conversation. It reminds me to hang with normal people as little as I can get away with.

Ibix said:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/MST3KMantra
Having qualified as coxswain on an LHA (size of a WWII Essex-class carrier) I had to wince at that a bit. But obviously the force was with them.

Likes Rubidium_71
cpscdave said:
Have you seen on Youtube "What if Episode 1 was good" The guy has now carried his plot changes through the 3 movies and come up with a much more coherent plot line.

I did in fact watch the Youtube episode, and the guy does have a point. The thing with those movies is that they needed to be directed by Elia Kazan, not George Lucas. Lucas should have brought back the directer from Empire Strikes Back--and I cannot think of the guy's name right now, and if I go and check it I'll lose this. Damn!

Khatti said:
I did in fact watch the Youtube episode, and the guy does have a point. The thing with those movies is that they needed to be directed by Elia Kazan, not George Lucas. Lucas should have brought back the directer from Empire Strikes Back--and I cannot think of the guy's name right now, and if I go and check it I'll lose this. Damn!
Irvin Kershner

Yeah, Irvin Kershner. I checked it after I posted.

Khatti said:
Yeah, Irvin Kershner. I checked it after I posted.
I prefer the direction of Alan Smithee myself.

Noisy Rhysling said:
I prefer the direction of Alan Smithee myself.

He--or is it she?--has a much more anonymous style.

Khatti said:
He--or is it she?--has a much more anonymous style.
But incredibly flexible. You never know what his next movie is going to look like.

Noisy Rhysling said:
But incredibly flexible. You never know what his next movie is going to look like.

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Khatti said:
:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
My lead Prof. at Purdue was heavily into cinema. He wrote John Wayne: American. That's where I first met Smithee.

If we're going to pine for past or potential directors, I would've been happy if David Lynch had directed Return of the Jedi. Maybe we would have been spared the teddy bear planet.
As far as Rogue One goes, the previews look like it has potential. We'll just have to wait and see.

Rubidium_71 said:
If we're going to pine for past or potential directors, I would've been happy if David Lynch had directed Return of the Jedi. Maybe we would have been spared the teddy bear planet.
As far as Rogue One goes, the previews look like it has potential. We'll just have to wait and see.
What? No rush to judgment on the basis of incomplete data? Where's the fun in that?

I'll venture this much - if Lucas is not writing any dialogue, that's an improvement right there. The preview has sort of a Dirty Dozen vibe to it, which I like.
But, no, I won't issue a final verdict until I've given it a fair viewing. :)

Rubidium_71 said:
I'll venture this much - if Lucas is not writing any dialogue, that's an improvement right there. The preview has sort of a Dirty Dozen vibe to it, which I like.
But, no, I won't issue a final verdict until I've given it a fair viewing. :)
You could lose your connectivity that way. The Internet Lynch Mob will be obeyed.

angrymob2.gif

Yikes - that's quite the malevolent emoji. But I am undeterred, as you know I always stick to my guns. Besides, I'm barely connected as it is, just a tin can and some wax string.

Rubidium_71 said:
Yikes - that's quite the malevolent emoji. But I am undeterred, as you know I always stick to my guns. Besides, I'm barely connected as it is, just a tin can and some wax string.
I had that one made so I could represent the Internet Lynch Mob. It's really popular.

I'll bet it is, especially these days. Hopefully it does not also represent the audience after viewing Rogue One.

Rubidium_71 said:
I'll bet it is, especially these days. Hopefully it does not also represent the audience after viewing Rogue One.
I hope the force is with us on that.

Last edited by a moderator: