Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What Sci-Fi clichés do you resent?

1. Dec 6, 2016 #1
    I want to ask you about all of those dreaded Sci-Fi clichés, and which ones would you list among the worst?

• The Chosen one - I absolutely resent having a hero being central to the story because that individual is a veritable McGuffin or is prophesized to be The only one who can do "X".
    • The Scardicat - drawing of a firearm or other gun like weapon is immediately followed by screams from females.
    • The enlightened rebel - I have all the answers - but because my ideas aren't in all the established scientific paperwork I am totally ignored! Only my rogue ideas will result in victory!
    • The ignorant expert - the foil of the enlightened rebel. The ex-spurt (a has been, + Drip under pressure) has memorized vast amounts of scientific work, but as the saying goes, "Those who can, do. those who can't, teach". I.e. said expert may know all the work done by other scientists, but has no experiments and discoveries of their own.
    • Starfighter dogfights - cool, but in reality... turrets swivel, track, and fire pretty darn accurately these days, so the fighters in question either need to be as many light seconds away as possible or fast and evasive enough to evade the turret.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 6, 2016 #2
    Hey now! That's in the plot of my story here in scifi writing! :biggrin:

4. Dec 6, 2016 #3
    The one where aliens are of bad intent and have to be destroyed before they rob all our teddy bears.

5. Dec 6, 2016 #4

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

'Nuff said.

6. Dec 7, 2016 #5
    I thought quest was for spiritual enlightenment.
    :wink:

7. Dec 7, 2016 #6

ShayanJ

Gold Member

I always considered that to be an element of fantasy/fiction stories, not science-fiction stories. I think that's against some unwritten sci-fi rule and at least in the sci-fi stories that I've read, there was no chosen one! Some stories that are known to be sci-fi, are actually fantasy but people don't bother to make the distinction.

8. Dec 7, 2016 #7
    Depends on how you use them.
    I ll also portray a 'chosen one' scientist, he discovers alien technology.
    I ll write a dogfight like thing, with a distance of 100.000 km light lag 2/3 sec with acceleration of 2g that means 5m from last detected position, with 10km/s overall delta-V a fighter can maintain 2g for a while (since they mostly drones, they dont neccesary care about bring them back)

What i dislike when all aliens are barely different from humans.

9. Dec 7, 2016 #8

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I dislike the reverse, where aliens are all the same and only humans are diverse. I bet the Klingons have plumbers.

10. Dec 7, 2016 #9
    Me too. Worse, when it gets explained by "we are all descended from some previous empire/civilization" ... aaargh that might have been a cool idea the first time it was used but now... it's just a lazy explanation for lazy imagination. I'd rather read about some aliens that are truly alien - with different emotions, motivations, needs, etc.

11. Dec 7, 2016 #10

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

I always disliked the way the language problem is resolved, if at all. I never understood why the entire universe speaks English.
    Also the missions on planets are strange: You see / read a very small fraction of a whole planet and everyone pretends to meet the entire population and this small sample represents the rest of the planet. It's like someone meeting Bush people in Africa and judges based on this experience.

12. Dec 7, 2016 #11
    I also skip different languages issue (only humans at me). Or use translators, telepathy.

13. Dec 7, 2016 #12
    Saving the Earth.
    It gets so old that after a while you find yourself hoping the Earth won't be saved. For as awful as Lexx got in it's final season, I'll give them this much - they depicted the Earth's destruction - it was crushed down to the size of a pea. After this occurred, no one even seemed to care. Earth was a "type 13" planet, this sort of thing happens all the time, no big deal.

14. Dec 7, 2016 #13
    Hybrid aliens. I know too much about genetics for that to not irk me.

Also aliens who invade earth for a specific resource that is on no way unique to our planet. Battle LA: the aliens came here to harvest water. Wait, what? Then why not harvest from the Keiper belt?

15. Dec 7, 2016 #14

OCR

That the special effects people insist on generating a huge "boooom" sound, when portraying an explosion in "outer space".... :oldgrumpy:

I won't make a comment regarding the fact... that on the USS Enterprise, no bridge crew member ever wore a seat belt !?.... :oldlaugh:

16. Dec 7, 2016 #15

fresh_42

Yes, but it changed with the follow-up model: (@ 4:50)

17. Dec 8, 2016 #16

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

"Industrial Science Fiction" in modern films is boring - vast cities, large spaceships, giant robots etc. (I include vast post apocalyptic ruins.) It involves a heavy use of computer graphics. Current graphics technology looks better than the era of stop-motion animation, but it still isn't convincing. (Maybe people who are computer game fanatics find the similarity of films to that kind of atmosphere entertaining).

On the other hand, industrial science fiction in written literature can be interesting because the scenery must be imagined - at least beyond the book cover art.

18. Dec 8, 2016 #17
    I like it when I get to see unusual perspectives or views on familiar objects. It was refreshing for me to regularly see the enterprise in star trek enterprise series upside down or from otherwise strange angles in relation to other things unlike the usual one plane up down.

the whoosh when something flies by in space

19. Dec 8, 2016 #18

DrClaude

Which Douglas Adams got right :smile:

20. Dec 8, 2016 #19

OCR

I said "seat belts".... :oldgrumpy:

That's just an arm rest--roller coaster un-restraint... and a damn rinky-dink one, at that.... lmao.gif

Coaster restraint.jpg

Last edited: Dec 8, 2016
  21. Dec 8, 2016 #20

OCR

:check: ... :oldlaugh:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted