Who was the true hero behind the Rebel Alliance's victory in Rogue One?

In summary, the new trailer for Rogue One: A Star Wars Story features a lot of discussion about the plot and the characters. Some people are worried about how fast the Death Star's main laser dish is being moved into place, while others are concerned about the potential consequences of rushing the project. There are also jokes about Jar Jar Binks and the negative reception to his appearance in the movie so far.
The only people for whom the CGI wasn't convincing were people scrutinizing the movie to see whether the CGI was convincing.

Physics news on Phys.org
dkotschessaa said:
The only people for whom the CGI wasn't convincing were people scrutinizing the movie to see whether the CGI was convincing.
After Bakshi's rotogravure and the ... odd ... art of "Fantastic Planet" I was just interested in seeing how far along they were.

dkotschessaa said:
No, that's absolutely not true. I thought for a second they were somehow using old scenes modified to fit but realized almost instantly that this was CGI.

phinds said:
No, that's absolutely not true. I thought for a second they were somehow using old scenes modified to fit but realized almost instantly that this was CGI.
So you found them convincing. DK referred to people who went with the foreknowledge of the CGI and were doing a bit of pre-judging.

Noisy Rhysling said:
So you found them convincing.
I don't understand how you got that from what I said. I did NOT find it convincing. It was CGI[/QUOTE]

phinds said:
I don't understand how you got that from what I said. I did NOT find it convincing. It was CGI

I guess what we are trying to figure out whether recognizing something as CGI constitutes its not being convincing.

dkotschessaa said:
I guess what we are trying to figure out whether recognizing something as CGI constitutes its not being convincing.
Well for me it wasn't. It was an intrusive scene even though as part of the back story for "future" files (already shown) it was probably the right thing to do.

phinds said:
I don't understand how you got that from what I said. I did NOT find it convincing. It was CGI
[/QUOTE]
Because that's how I read it.

Noisy Rhysling said:
Because that's how I read it.
An interesting example of how we all (well, I think it's all of us, it's certainly true for me) sometimes think we're being very clear in our meaning and yet others hear something quite different.

phinds said:
An interesting example of how we all (well, I think it's all of us, it's certainly true for me) sometimes think we're being very clear in our meaning and yet others hear something quite different.
I'm married, so it happens all the time here. ;)

Likes phinds
Saw the movie twice - I enjoyed it that much. I liked the whole Manhattan Project angle (in fact, the original working title for this movie was "Destroyer of Worlds"). Hardcore Star Wars fans may have known about it all along, but I was very surprised to learn what the Death Star shared in common with another famous weapon of the Star Wars universe. ("Only the largest stars have hearts of Kyber...")

sanman said:
Saw the movie twice - I enjoyed it that much. I liked the whole Manhattan Project angle

Wow, I totally missed that connection.

dkotschessaa said:
I thought the pudgy colonel would have tipped you off.

Trinity_Test_-_Oppenheimer_and_Groves_at_Ground_Zero_002.jpg

Likes dkotschessaa
dkotschessaa said:
Well, Mads Mikkelson's character Galen Erso is the Oppenheimer. If you liked Rogue One, then you may enjoy reading the novel "Catalyst", which provides the backstory for Galen Erso, Orson Krennic, and the events leading up to the movie.

51MC3VIGAnL.jpg

After years of being a Trek fan I am not sure what I would think of myself if I read a Star Wars novel. That's like committing. But I'll think about it.

Likes DennisN
dkotschessaa said:
After years of being a Trek fan I am not sure what I would think of myself if I read a Star Wars novel. That's like committing. But I'll think about it.

Well, this one is written by James Luceno - the best in the business - and it makes for gripping reading. It even made the NY Times best seller list.

dkotschessaa said:
Star Wars fans have loved Star Wars, warts and all, for 40 years. Scrutinizing its warts is a sign of fandom love.

I love going back and watching SW:ANH to see how quaint were the alien costumes, space effects and Hamil's acting.

I wouldn't love my Raggedy Andy doll (if I had one) any less with missing buttons and lost stuffing.

"It's just a movie, it's just a movie, it's just a movie."

Likes Bystander
What gives Star Wars its enduring appeal is its vast and rich universe depicted through magnificent visual spectacle

I think this whole anthology movie series idea is about exploring the wealth of environments and situations in this universe, beyond the main established storyline.

Likes Noisy Rhysling
Noisy Rhysling said:
I suspect they want the public to accept these images because the company will need them in future movies.
I'm don't see a use for either character in any future film. The 1977 Princess Leia shouldn't need to be CGI'd into anything else. Same goes for Tarkin.
Unless you're just referring to them using that technique in general. Either way, their CGI still needs some work in my opinion. Seeing it didn't ruin the film for me, but I wasn't impressed. Like I said before, they could've easily just shown her from the back. Tarkin they could've dropped completely, it wouldn't have bothered me. But it is what it is, I'll still pick it up on Bluray when it comes out.

Well, they can always give us Carrie as a Force Ghost - after all, once Han was dead, Leia might have lost her will to live

C0uwmKCWIAApEQk.jpg

Rubidium_71 said:
I'm don't see a use for either character in any future film. The 1977 Princess Leia shouldn't need to be CGI'd into anything else. Same goes for Tarkin.
Unless you're just referring to them using that technique in general. Either way, their CGI still needs some work in my opinion. Seeing it didn't ruin the film for me, but I wasn't impressed. Like I said before, they could've easily just shown her from the back. Tarkin they could've dropped completely, it wouldn't have bothered me. But it is what it is, I'll still pick it up on Bluray when it comes out.
I'm not sure why you said "shouldn't"...

Noisy Rhysling said:
"It's just a movie, it's just a movie, it's just a movie."
Not for some of us.

I was 13. A very impressionable age.

It defined me wholly for two decades (as a sci-fi nerd, artist and a film industry wannabe) and partially for another 2.

Likes BillTre
DaveC426913 said:
Not for some of us.

I was 13. A very impressionable age.

It defined me wholly for two decades (as a sci-fi nerd, artist and a film industry wannabe) and partially for another 2.
"It's just a movie, but you can obsess about it. "

sanman said:
Well, they can always give us Carrie as a Force Ghost - after all, once Han was dead, Leia might have lost her will to live
It takes a lot of mojo to come back as a Force ghost and it didn't look like Leia ever had any formal training. Even Qui-Gon was only able to come back as a disembodied voice as far as I can remember. Obi-Wan was also just a voice after his death in New Hope before he finally was able to appear as a vision in Empire. Since I was never a fan of Hayden Christensen showing up as a Force Ghost I wouldn't really be interested in seeing a CGI Leia come back to haunt us.
Noisy Rhysling said:
I'm not sure why you said "shouldn't"...
Rogue One takes the story right up to New Hope, so they shouldn't need to recreate/CGI the 1977 Leia for any future films they have planned.

Rubidium_71 said:
Rogue One takes the story right up to New Hope, so they shouldn't need to recreate/CGI the 1977 Leia for any future films they have planned.
The intervening thirty years were uneventful?

Noisy Rhysling said:
Which intervening 30 years?

Rubidium specified the 1977 Leia doesn't need to be recreated.
Unless, I suppose, they make a film post-SW:3 and pre-SW:3.5. But then she'd be a teenager.

Likes Rubidium_71
DaveC426913 said:
Which intervening 30 years?

Rubidium specified the 1977 Leia doesn't need to be recreated.
Unless, I suppose, they make a film post-SW:3 and pre-SW:3.5. But then she'd be a teenager.
Okay, the next X years while she still looked like her Return self. (Are we really stressing on this?)

DaveC426913 said:
But then she'd be a teenager.
Quite right, Phinds, and in that event they would likely re-cast the part rather than employ CGI.

As far as I know, aside from Episodes 7,8 and 9 the studio plans to do a young Han Solo movie (Leia and Han didn't meet until Episode 4, so her character shouldn't even need to be in that one) and a Boba Fett movie. I haven't heard of any plans for a young Leia movie, so they shouldn't need to have any more Leia CGI appearances and that's a good thing in my opinion.

Noisy Rhysling said:
There's plenty of SW material filling in that episode 3-4 gap already. Some of it I do find interesting.

Noisy Rhysling said:
Are we really stressing on this?
Not me, I'm simply answering your question and commenting on the film I saw.

We're good then. The last movie I got excited about was "Creature from the Black Lagoon."

All I know is that J J Abrams is way overrated - his Ep-7 sucks compared to Rogue One.

sanman said:
All I know is that J J Abrams is way overrated - his Ep-7 sucks compared to Rogue One.
That explains why it did so poorly at the box office.

Likes russ_watters
Noisy Rhysling said:
That explains why it did so poorly at the box office.

Meh, even Phantom Menace did well at the box office - but after I came out of that movie, I already knew I didn't like JarJar, the Bumblee man, and that stupid pod-racing scene

I was pleased with this movie, as you can see.

Likes DennisN
dkotschessaa said:
:DD