1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rolle's theorem -> Differentiability

1. Mar 29, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    So I'm doing problems where I have to verify Rolle's hypotheses. I am only having trouble with the differentiability part. My professor wants me to prove this. So for example,
    f(x)=√(x)-(1/3)x [0,9]

2. Relevant equations
    none

3. The attempt at a solution
    1.) I know the function is continuous because root functions are continuous on their domains and polynomials are continuous everywhere therefore the difference of two continuous functions is continuous.

2.) What could I say about it being differentiable?
    My GUESS: it is defined everywhere on its domain [0,9] and continuous it is therefore differentiable on its domain [0,9]?

I am only stuck on 2.) so no need to go further on the problem.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 29, 2013 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

No. Saying that a function is "defined and continuous" on a domain does NOT mean that it is differentiable on the interval. For example, |x| is "defined and continuous" for all x but is not differentiable at x= 0.

It's hard to tell you how you should answer this without knowing what you about derivatives. IF you know that the derivative of [itex]x^n[/itex] is [itex]nx^{n-1}[/itex] then it should be easy to tell what the derivative of [itex]x^{1/2}- x/3[/itex] is and so where it is differentiable.

(It is NOT differentiable on [0, 1] but Rolle's theorem does not require it to be.)

4. Mar 29, 2013 #3
    I know the derivative to the function. I also know chain rule and the limit definition as well quotient rule, etc. So the way my professor explained is that I have to verify I can differentiate over the interval given. In this case [0,9].

So I know f'(x)=1/(2√x)-(1/3)

I just don't understand how I verify that is differentiable over [0,9].

Here is how he gave me Rolle's Theorem (very simply):
    1.) f is continuous on [a,b] (Prove it!)
    2.) f is differentiable on (a,b) (Prove it!)
    3.) f(a)=f(b) then if all 3 conditions are met a<c<b such that c belongs to (a,b) and that f'(c)=0.

I hope this helps you understand my situation. I am only stuck on 2.).... The rest is I understand.

Also, thank you for replying. I appreciate all the help I can get.

5. Mar 29, 2013 #4

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Well, you have computed a formula for the derivative. Are there any values of ##x## in ##[0,9]## that cause problems?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted