Rolling Hoop - Angular Momentum

In summary, a hoop is launched with backspin on a frictional surface and eventually reverses direction. The problem asks for the speed of the hoop as it rolls back to its initial point. The attempt at a solution involves finding the total angular momentum of the hoop and accounting for the effects of friction on both the translational and angular motion. However, the exact mathematical solution is unclear and further assistance is needed.
cardioid

Homework Statement

A hoop is launched so that it slides with backspin across the floor. Due to friction on the floor, the hoop eventually reverses direction. A little after that, it stops slipping and rolls back to the point where it was launched. If the initial speed of the hoop was v and its initial angular velocity was omega, what is its speed as it rolls back?

Homework Equations

L = Iw + mvr
Iw = Iw for conservation

The Attempt at a Solution

L = Iw - mvr (I thought "-" because of friction). I need to find the total angular momentum of the hoop with respect to a stationary point on the floor, but I am not sure how to do this mathematically. The angular momentum with respect to the hoop rolling back has to equal the angular momentum with friction making it slip away. Is the point of slip/roll significant?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't follow your description. I would except the hoop to stop moving forward, then reverse direction because of the backspin. In that case, the hoop would lose no angular momentum until the forward motion stopped.
So it would begin its return trip with the same angular velocity it started.

Of course, I might be misreading the situation.

What you say makes sense I think... I went out and found a hoop, and tried this on a flat road, and the hoop does not roll back with the same angular or translational motion... so I'm not sure

I think you could be right. If there's friction slowing the translational movement, it must be slowing the angular movement also.

I tried to work it out but it's not specific enough, or I'm too tired.

Well the problem is asking for a symbolic answer.. and that's all I have

still need help if anyone is interested,

also, thank you for replying Mentz

1. What is rolling hoop and how does it relate to angular momentum?

Rolling hoop is a physical phenomenon in which a hoop, or a circular object, rolls without slipping. Angular momentum is a measure of the rotational motion of an object. In the case of a rolling hoop, the angular momentum is related to the rotational speed and the mass distribution of the hoop.

2. How is angular momentum conserved in a rolling hoop?

Angular momentum is conserved in a rolling hoop because the total angular momentum of the hoop remains constant, regardless of any external forces acting on it. This is due to the fact that the hoop is rotating at a constant rate and there is no slipping, so there is no change in the distribution of mass.

3. What factors affect the angular momentum of a rolling hoop?

The angular momentum of a rolling hoop is affected by its mass, radius, and rotational speed. The distribution of mass in the hoop also plays a role, as a hoop with the majority of its mass concentrated at the outer edge will have a different angular momentum than a hoop with the majority of its mass concentrated at the center.

4. How does the radius of a rolling hoop affect its angular momentum?

The radius of a rolling hoop has a direct impact on its angular momentum. A larger radius means a larger distance from the axis of rotation, resulting in a greater moment of inertia. This means that a larger hoop will have a higher angular momentum than a smaller hoop, assuming all other factors remain constant.

5. Can a rolling hoop lose angular momentum?

Yes, a rolling hoop can lose angular momentum if there are external forces acting on it that cause it to slow down or change its rotational speed. This can happen if there is friction between the hoop and the surface it is rolling on, or if there are other forces such as air resistance or collisions with other objects.