1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rolling motion including torque and acceleration

1. Feb 26, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A constant horizontal force [tex]\vec{F}[/tex] is applied to a lawn roller in the form of a uniform solid cylinder of radius R and mass M. If the roller rolls without slipping on the horizontal surface, show that (a) the acceleration of the center of mass is [tex]\frac{2\vec{F}}{3M}[/tex] and (b) the minimum coefficient of friction necessary to prevent slipping is [tex]\frac{F}{3Mg}[/tex]. (Hint: Take the torque with respect to the center of mass.

2. Relevant equations

Not quite sure.

3. The attempt at a solution

Well, this is my last problem of the night to finish. To be honest, i have no idea where to begin. I don't know how to examine the acceleration or how to use torque to find friction. Any step in a positive direction would be helpful. I appreciate it.
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 26, 2008 #2
    I was thinking maybe a force diagram...but I'm not sure how it would apply to the rolling motion.
  4. Feb 26, 2008 #3
    Also, I'm not sure whether the applied force is causing any torque or not.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?