1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Root and Ratio tests Inconclusive

1. Nov 11, 2006 #1
    Here is the question in the book:
    --------------
    Give an example of a divergent infinite series of positive numbers [itex]a_{n}[/itex] such that [itex]\lim_{n\rightarrow \infty}a_{n+1}/a_{n} = \lim_{n\rightarrow \infty}a_{n}^{1/n} = 1[/itex] and an example of a convergent infinite series of positive numbers with the same property.
    -------------

For the divergent series I gave a somewhat trivial example. The series: 1+1+1+1+1+... which is certainly divergent and has the necessary limit properties.

For the convergent series though I am a little clueless. What should I be looking for. I know that the nth root of the "last" term should be 1, and also the "last" term should be approaching 0, but I just can't seem to get anything to satisfy both. Please don't post such a series, but instead if you could give some hints as to how I should go about finding one, and maybe other things that I should know when looking for such a sequence. Thanks!

Last edited: Nov 11, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 11, 2006 #2

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

hint: n^(1/n)-->1

4. Nov 11, 2006 #3
    [itex]\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} 1/n^2[/itex] converges and has the properties. Thanks.

edit... Using your hint again, I could use [itex]\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} 1/n[/itex] as the divergent series with the desired properties which is probably a little nicer than my lame example :smile:

Last edited: Nov 11, 2006
  5. Nov 11, 2006 #4

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Nice.

-----

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?