1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Root Finding of complex trig function

1. Jan 21, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

a) Show that for small values of x, xtanx is approximately equal to x^2 and 2 - coshx is approximately equal to 1 - 0.5(x^2). Draw a conclusion from this regarding the probable number and approximate locations of roots on the interval [-1,1].

b) Use Newton's method to identify one of these roots to three decimal places.

2. Relevant equations

xtanx = 2 - coshx

3. The attempt at a solution

My main problem is with the first part.

How does xtanx approximate to x^2 for small values of x? Better yet, how would I show that? Testing out 10^-10, xtanx = 1.745 x 10^-22 and x^2 = 10^-20, which is still 2 orders of magnitude off. Based on the second part of the question, this approximation should be fairly accurate for x's in [-1,1], but I wouldn't really say it is.

Even if this difference in order of magnitude is acceptable and still considered approximately equal, how exactly would I show that? (besides subbing in numbers and doing a comparison chart or something).

I'm assuming once I accurately show that these approximations are true, I can estimate the number and approximate locations of the roots of the equation by finding how many times x^2 intersects 1 - 0.5(x^2) then use the substituted equation in Newton's method to approximate the actual roots.

- Thanks!
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 21, 2008 #2
    Looking at the 2 - coshx terms now, I see that for values of x in [-1,1] it does approximate well to 2 - 0.5(x^2) so it's really just the xtanx term that's bother me.
  4. Jan 21, 2008 #3

Gib Z

Homework Helper

I've uploaded a scan of page 48 from Courant, Volume 1.

Now, in the second inequality on the page, we multiply every term by cos x;

[tex] \cos x < \frac{x}{\tan x} < 1[/tex].

Now, as x approaches zero, the left hand side becomes 1, and the right hand side is 1.

So the term in the middle must be approximated very well by 1, when x is near zero.

Another way of saying that is that tan x is approximately x when x is near zero. Hence we can see, x tan x, near zero, can be approximated by x*x = x^2.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?