Root Finding of complex trig function

In summary: This concludes my attempt at a solution. I apologize if it was not clear and would be more than happy to clarify anything if needed.
Batmaniac

Homework Statement

a) Show that for small values of x, xtanx is approximately equal to x^2 and 2 - coshx is approximately equal to 1 - 0.5(x^2). Draw a conclusion from this regarding the probable number and approximate locations of roots on the interval [-1,1].

b) Use Newton's method to identify one of these roots to three decimal places.

Homework Equations

xtanx = 2 - coshx

The Attempt at a Solution

My main problem is with the first part.

How does xtanx approximate to x^2 for small values of x? Better yet, how would I show that? Testing out 10^-10, xtanx = 1.745 x 10^-22 and x^2 = 10^-20, which is still 2 orders of magnitude off. Based on the second part of the question, this approximation should be fairly accurate for x's in [-1,1], but I wouldn't really say it is.

Even if this difference in order of magnitude is acceptable and still considered approximately equal, how exactly would I show that? (besides subbing in numbers and doing a comparison chart or something).

I'm assuming once I accurately show that these approximations are true, I can estimate the number and approximate locations of the roots of the equation by finding how many times x^2 intersects 1 - 0.5(x^2) then use the substituted equation in Newton's method to approximate the actual roots.

- Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Looking at the 2 - coshx terms now, I see that for values of x in [-1,1] it does approximate well to 2 - 0.5(x^2) so it's really just the xtanx term that's bother me.

I've uploaded a scan of page 48 from Courant, Volume 1.

[img=http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5373/courantpage48extractdd8.th.jpg]

Now, in the second inequality on the page, we multiply every term by cos x;

[tex] \cos x < \frac{x}{\tan x} < 1[/tex].

Now, as x approaches zero, the left hand side becomes 1, and the right hand side is 1.

So the term in the middle must be approximated very well by 1, when x is near zero.

Another way of saying that is that tan x is approximately x when x is near zero. Hence we can see, x tan x, near zero, can be approximated by x*x = x^2.

What is root finding?

Root finding is the process of finding the values of a variable that make a given function equal to zero. In other words, it is finding the input values that make the output of the function equal to zero.

What makes root finding of complex trig functions challenging?

Root finding of complex trig functions can be challenging because these functions involve both real and imaginary components, making it difficult to determine the exact values that will result in a zero output. Additionally, these functions can have multiple roots, adding to the complexity of the problem.

What methods can be used to find roots of complex trig functions?

There are several methods that can be used to find roots of complex trig functions, including the Newton-Raphson method, the bisection method, and the secant method. These methods involve using iterative processes to approximate the roots of the function.

How do these methods differ in their approach?

The Newton-Raphson method uses the derivative of the function to iteratively refine the root approximation, while the bisection method and the secant method use interval bisection and linear interpolation, respectively. The bisection method is guaranteed to converge, while the other methods may not always converge to the exact root value.

What are some potential applications of root finding of complex trig functions?

Root finding of complex trig functions can be used in a variety of fields, including engineering, physics, and economics. It can be applied to solve equations in circuit analysis, determine the trajectories of objects in motion, and optimize financial models, among other things.