1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Root mean square speed and ideal gases

1. Dec 3, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    At 318 K and 1.04 x 10-2 atm, the density of a gas is 1.75 x 10-5 g/cm3. (a) Find vrms for the gas molecules. (b) Find the molar mass of the gas.

2. Relevant equations
    vrms= sqrt (3RT/M)
    pV=nRT
    pM=dRT
    pV=(m/M)RT

3. The attempt at a solution

the main problem i am having here is units, and i am getting really frustrated, because i am a chem major, and this is chemistry!

in order to solve for the root mean square speed, i said, based on the above relationships, RT/M = p/d

so i plugged into vrms= sqrt (3p/d) BUT i don't know what units the density and pressure should be in to yield m/s for the final speed- i have no idea to even apply unit analysis here

thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 3, 2009 #2
    i think p - N/m^2 because: P/D = (N/m^2) / (kg/m^3) = m.N / kg. According to N's 2nd law: F = ma => N/kg = m/s^2 => m.N / kg = m.m/s^2 = m^2/s^2.

4. Dec 4, 2009 #3
    okay, thanks for your help :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook