Calculating the root mean square speed from pressure and density.

In summary: So the correct equation would be:c_{rms} = \sqrt{<c^2>}Using the given values, we can find <c^2> to be 225000 m^2 s^-2. Taking the square root, we get the root mean square speed of the molecules to be approximately 474 m s^-1.
Jamesey162

Homework Statement

A tyre contains gas at a pressure of 150 kPa. If the gas has a density of 2.0 kg m-3, find the root mean square speed of the molecules.

Homework Equations

These are the equations I believe to be relevant:

[tex]c_{rms} = \frac{\sqrt{<c^2>}}{N}[/tex]

[tex]pV = \frac{1}{3}Nm<c^2>[/tex]

[tex]p = \frac{1}{3}ρ<c^2>[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]\frac{3p}{ρ} = <c^2>[/tex]
[tex]\frac{3 * 150000}{2} = <c^2> = 225000ms^{-1}[/tex]

But I'm not sure how to work out N as I don't any volume or temperature. I'm not quite sure how they get their answer in the back of the book which is 474 ms-1 (which is the square root of 225000) meaning that N = 1? How can that be?

Thank you for reading!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If c^2 = 225000, then the units can't be m/s

Likes 1 person
SteamKing said:
If c^2 = 225000, then the units can't be m/s

Sorry yes <c^2> should be in m^2s^-2 shouldn't it?

Jamesey162 said:
Are you sure there should be an ##N## here?

BruceW said:
Are you sure there should be an ##N## here?

I'm sure, atleast that's how they have quoted it in my textbook:

WEareEe.jpg

How does your book define <c^2>?

ehild

ehild said:
How does your book define <c^2>?

ehild

It defines it as:

[tex]<c^2> = \frac{{c_1}^2 + {c_2}^2 + {c_3}^2 + ...{c_N}^2}{N} = \frac{{c_i}^2}{N} [/tex]

I'm not exactly sure what the right-hand most part means with the subscript i.

Jamesey162 said:
It defines it as:

[tex]<c^2> = \frac{{c_1}^2 + {c_2}^2 + {c_3}^2 + ...{c_N}^2}{N} = \frac{{c_i}^2}{N} [/tex]

I'm not exactly sure what the right-hand most part means with the subscript i.

It should be

[tex]<c^2> = \frac{{c_1}^2 + {c_2}^2 + {c_3}^2 + ...{c_N}^2}{N} =\frac{\sum{{c_i}^2}}{N} [/tex]

i is the summation index, and √<c2> itself is the rms speed. No need to divide it by N. [tex]\frac{3p}{ρ} = <c^2>[/tex]

ehild

Likes 1 person
yeah, I think what ehild said is right. The equation
is most likely a mistake in the book. It doesn't make sense, if you think about it. If you had a bunch of atoms all moving at the same speed, then this equation would give an rms value that is smaller for a larger population of these identical atoms. Which doesn't make sense at all.

Likes 1 person
ehild said:
It should be

[tex]<c^2> = \frac{{c_1}^2 + {c_2}^2 + {c_3}^2 + ...{c_N}^2}{N} =\frac{\sum{{c_i}^2}}{N} [/tex]

i is the summation index, and √<c2> itself is the rms speed. No need to divide it by N. [tex]\frac{3p}{ρ} = <c^2>[/tex]

ehild

BruceW said:
yeah, I think what ehild said is right. The equation
is most likely a mistake in the book. It doesn't make sense, if you think about it. If you had a bunch of atoms all moving at the same speed, then this equation would give an rms value that is smaller for a larger population of these identical atoms. Which doesn't make sense at all.
Okay, I've got it now, thanks for the explanation.

1. How is root mean square (rms) speed calculated?

RMS speed is calculated using the equation RMS = √(3RT/M), where R is the gas constant, T is the temperature in Kelvin, and M is the molar mass of the gas.

2. What is the relationship between pressure and rms speed?

According to the ideal gas law, PV = nRT, which states that pressure and volume are directly proportional. Therefore, as pressure increases, the volume decreases, resulting in an increase in rms speed.

3. Can rms speed be calculated using pressure and density?

Yes, rms speed can also be calculated by using the equation RMS = √(3P/ρ), where P is the pressure and ρ is the density of the gas.

4. How does temperature affect the rms speed?

Temperature has a direct relationship with rms speed. As temperature increases, rms speed also increases. This is because as temperature rises, the gas molecules gain more kinetic energy, resulting in faster movement.

5. What are the units for rms speed?

RMS speed is typically expressed in meters per second (m/s) or centimeters per second (cm/s).