Finding Arbitrary nth Roots of -1 Algebraically

• Thread starter soandos
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Roots
In summary, there is no way to find all of the arbitrary nth roots of -1 algebraically. However, if you want to find them in terms of signs and cosines, DeMoivre's theorem can be used. For n=3, the first root we encounter is cos(60) + isin(60)=1/2 + i(sqrt3)/2.
soandos
is there a way to find all of the arbitrary nth roots of -1 algebraically?

Physics news on Phys.org
Assuming you want to find roots in [tex]\mathbb{C}[/tex], if [tex]x^n = -1[/tex], then [tex]\lvert x \rvert = 1[/tex], so [tex]x = e^{i \theta}[/tex] for some [tex]\theta[/tex]. Since [tex]-1 = e^{i \pi}[/tex], all you need to do is find n distinct solutions of [tex]e^{i \theta} = e^{i \pi}[/tex]. (That you only need n solutions follows from that you're effectively asking for the roots of the polynomial [tex]x^n + 1[/tex].)

how would that get me say, 1/2 (1 - I Sqrt[3])?

soandos said:
You need to be more clear about what you mean by "find". e.g. why is [itex](1/2) (1 - i 3^{1/2})[/itex] a pleasing answer, but not [itex](\sqrt[3]{-1})^5[/itex]?

Well, if you want to find them in terms of signs and cosins, we just use de Moivre's Theorem.

Since cos(pi) + isin(pi) = -1. We find the nth root as cos(pi/n) + isin(pi/n) = -1^1/n.
Other roots are powers of this root and we obtain 1/n, 2/n, 3/n...n/n=1. For n=3, the first root we encounter is cos(60) + isin(60)=1/2 + i(sqrt3)/2.

Yes, as someone noted already, -1=exp(i*pi) take the nth root, i.e:
exp(i*pi+2pi*k)/n=(-1)^1/n.
I am being succint today, aren't I.
(-:

soandos said:
What do you mean by "algebraically"? By DeMoivre's theorem, we know that some roots necessarily involve complex exponentials or, equivalently, sine and cosine.

Generally, the nth roots of -1 are given by
[tex]cos\left(\frac{(1+ 2k)\pi}{n}\right)+ i sin\left(\frac{(1+ 2k)\pi}{n}\right)[/tex]
where k ranges from 1 to n to give all n roots.

For example, since [itex]-1= e^{\pi}= cos(\pi)+ i sin(\pi)[/itex] or could be written as [itex]-1= e^{\pi+ 2\pi}= e^{3\pi}= cos(3\pi)+ i sin(3\pi)[/itex] or [itex]-1= e^{\pi+ 2\pi+ \2pi}= e^{5\pi}= cos(5\pi)+ i sin(\5pi)[/itex], its cube roots are
[itex]e^{pi/3}= cos(\pi/3)+ i sin(\pi/3)[/itex],
which equals [itex]1/2+ i\sqrt{3}/2[/itex]

[itex]e^{3pi/3}= cos(\pi)+ i sin(\pi)= -1[/itex], and

[itex]e^{5\pi/3}= cos(5\pi/3)+ i sin(5\pi/3)[/itex],
which equals [itex]1/2- i\sqrt{3}/2[/itex]

Since [itex]\pi/3= 60[/itex] degrees, you can, of course, get those values by bisecting an equilateral triangle.

Similarly, you could get those values geometrically by recognizing that the roots lie on the vertices of an equilateral triangle inscribed in the unit circle.

But roots like the 5th root or 7th root will not give such nice values. If you do not include trig functions in "algebraically", there is no way.

FAQ: Finding Arbitrary nth Roots of -1 Algebraically

1. How do you find the arbitrary nth root of -1 algebraically?

To find the arbitrary nth root of -1 algebraically, you can use the formula (-1)^(1/n) = cos(pi/n) + i*sin(pi/n), where n is the desired root. This formula is derived from Euler's formula and is also known as De Moivre's formula.

2. Can the arbitrary nth root of -1 be found for all values of n?

Yes, the arbitrary nth root of -1 can be found for all values of n, including non-integer values. This is because the formula (-1)^(1/n) = cos(pi/n) + i*sin(pi/n) can be applied to any value of n, even if it is not a whole number.

3. Are there any other ways to find the arbitrary nth root of -1?

Yes, there are other ways to find the arbitrary nth root of -1. One method is to use the polar form of complex numbers, where -1 = cos(pi) + i*sin(pi), and then use the nth root property to find the root. Another method is to use the principle of roots and the quadratic formula to solve for the roots.

4. Are there any special cases when finding the arbitrary nth root of -1?

Yes, there are special cases when finding the arbitrary nth root of -1. For example, when n is an even number, there will be two possible roots, one with a positive real part and one with a negative real part. Additionally, when n is a multiple of 4, the roots will be real numbers instead of complex numbers.

5. Is there a specific method to follow when finding the arbitrary nth root of -1?

Yes, there is a specific method to follow when finding the arbitrary nth root of -1. The most common method is to use the formula (-1)^(1/n) = cos(pi/n) + i*sin(pi/n), but other methods such as using the polar form or the principle of roots can also be used depending on the specific problem.