Roots of a polynomial of degree 4

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 5K views
Mathman23
Messages
248
Reaction score
0
(*)[tex]p(x) = x^4 + ax^3 + bx^ 2 + ax + 1 = 0[/tex]

where [tex]a,b \in \mathbb{C}[/tex]

I would like to prove that a complex number x makes (*) true iff

[tex]s = x + x^{-1}[/tex] is a root of the [tex]Q(s) = s^2 + as + (b-2)[/tex]

I see that that [tex]Q(x + x^{-1}) = \frac{p(x)}{x^2}[/tex]

Then to prove the above do I then show that p(x) and Q((x + ^{-1}) shares roots?

Sincerely Yours
MM23
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes. Note that Q(s) and p(x) must have coincident roots.
 
Mathman23 said:
(*)[tex]p(x) = x^4 + ax^3 + bx^ 2 + ax + 1 = 0[/tex]

where [tex]a,b \in \mathbb{C}[/tex]

I would like to prove that a complex number x makes (*) true iff

[tex]s = x + x^{-1}[/tex] is a root of the [tex]Q(s) = s^2 + as + (b-2)[/tex]

I see that that [tex]Q(x + x^{-1}) = \frac{p(x)}{x^2}[/tex]

Then to prove the above do I then show that p(x) and Q((x + ^{-1}) shares roots?

Sincerely Yours
MM23
The onlly way a fraction can be 0 is if the numerator is 0. Isn't it obvious from [tex]Q(x + x^{-1}) = \frac{p(x)}{x^2}[/tex]
that Q(x+ x-1)= 0 if and only if p(x)= 0?