1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rose Petal Polar Plot With 6 Petals

1. Jan 31, 2014 #1
    • Member warned about not using the homework template
    What is the functional form of rose petal with 6 petals? I am asked to graph this function with matlab, but it seems impossible according to my calculus textbook. According to my textbook, a rose curve can have the form [itex]r = a \cos n \theta[/itex] or [itex]r = a \sin n \theta[/itex]. When n is even, then there are 2n petals; when n is odd, then there are n petals.

Is there any way of accomplishing this, graphing a rose petal with 6 petals?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 31, 2014 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Experiment with nonintegers. Try n=3/2.

4. Jan 31, 2014 #3

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I shall assume you are edicted to pick n as an integer.
    Let r = sin(nθ), and write α = π/n. The first petal is from θ=0 to θ=α, the second from α to 2α. But if you look at where these appear, the second will look like the first rotated about the origin by an angle - what angle (as a multiple of α)?
    The third petal will look like the second, but rotated by that same angle. What will the total of these angles be when you stop getting new petals?

5. Feb 8, 2015 #4
    You can make a six-petaled rose with the equation ##r^2 = 3sin(2θ)##. I am not sure if the 3 changes the number of petals. But that will do it for you.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2015
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted