1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rotating ball and string Rotational Kinetic Energy?

1. Dec 8, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hello,
    I am a bit confused on when rotational kinetic energy exists and when linear kinetic energy exists. For example when we spin a string with a ball attached to the end it has kinetic energy of 0.5mv^2 of the ball when we were solving for velocity of the ball at certain points in the vertical circle of the ball. But know that i learned rotational motion, why don't we consider rotational energy in that example instead of just mgh and 0.5mv^2? There was a question where there was a ball attached to a bar and the system of bar and ball attached to the bar are moving and we used just rotational kinetic energy to solve the question and didn't account for 0.5mv^2.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I was thinking maybe it has to do with something about the string maybe being negligible or something but still not sure. I would like some clarification on this matter please.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 9, 2013 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi Vontox7! :smile:
    If the string has length R and the ball has radius r, then the KE is 1/2 mR2ω2 + 1/2 2/5 mr2ω2

= 1/2 m(R2 + 2/5 r22

r2 is usually so much smaller than R2 that the extra energy can be ignored. :wink:

4. Dec 9, 2013 #3
    Okay so just simplifying KE = 1/2m(R^2+0)w^2 =1/2mR^2w^2 = 1/2mR^2(v^2/R^2) = 1/2mv^2 ?
    Btw thank you very much for help it is greatly appreciated !

5. Dec 9, 2013 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Strictly speaking, since the string is attached to the outside of the ball:
    1/2 m(R+r)2ω2 + 1/2 2/5 mr2ω2
    For the motion of the mass centre about the axis, you can handle it in either of two ways:
    - as linear motion, mv2/2
    - as rotational motion, mr2ω2/2
    Since v = rω, these are the same.
    If you also want to account for the rotation of the object about its mass centre then you add Iω2/2.

6. Dec 9, 2013 #5
    The problem is I know doubt the method we used back in high school to solve questions of objects rotating in a circle like a pendulum problem and using energy to find the balls maximum height and so forth because back then we didn't account for rotation kinetic energy why? Maybe I am not understanding what exactly is rotational kinetic energy.

7. Dec 10, 2013 #6

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi Vontox7! :smile:
    There's nothing special about rotational kinetic energy.

It's just the sum (strictly, integral) of the ordinary 1/2 mv2 kinetic energy of the individual parts.
    The school pendulum solution has a simple L in it.

That L is √(R2 + 2/5 r2).

Since you can't measure L very precisely (and since the string or rod isn't totally negligible either), the school solution is correct, it just uses a slightly different L. :wink:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted