1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rotating mass system with a forward velocity and acceleration

1. Jan 6, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I have a

solid rotating body with moment of inertia I rotating at a constant angular velocity w

body is spinning about an ideal bearing located at its CG, the system is also moving in straight line at a velocity v when it suddenly undergoes an acceleration a. I want to find an equation for the Force vector F placed on the axis of rotation by the accelerating rotating mass.
    ** angular velocity remains the same **

This problem has something to do with the coriolis effect and is similar to taking a spinning gyroscope and pushing it strongly in one direction. It puts a side force on your hand

2. Relevant equations

Not sure where to start. I have the angular velocity equations as well as the forward velocity and acceleration equations of . A good start would be helpfull please!!!

3. The attempt at a solution
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 9, 2009 #2
    Consider the pivot point of the rotating body. The torque vector, N, is related to the applied force by N = r x F where r is the distance from the pivot point to the center of mass of the system. Also, the acceleration is linear so Newton's laws become F - ma = m times the second time derivative of the postion vector relative to the moving reference frame, and a is the acceleration of the system. The ma term is an inertial force and not a real force and depends on the acceleration of the moving coordinate system. F = mg in this case and points vertically downward, and ma points in a horizontal direction. The effective force acting on the pivot point is the vector addition of these two components.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?