Rotating physicist and momentum conservation

In summary, the conversation discusses the well-known problem of a rotating physicist whose angular velocity increases due to angular momentum conservation. The net momentum of the physicist increases, leading to a potential violation of Newton's law for extended objects. However, it is explained that while parts of the body may be moving faster, the center of mass remains at rest and the total linear momentum of the system is conserved. The concept of mutually independent conservation of linear and angular momentum is also discussed.
brotherbobby
Ang. Momentum.png

We are aware of the well-known problem of a rotating physicist whose angular velocity ω increases as a consequence of angular momentun conservation (##I_1 \omega_1 = I_2 \omega_2, \Sigma \tau_e = 0##). I am assuming that the net external force (##\Sigma F_e##) is also zero along with the net external torque. However, the net momentum of the physicist (##p=mv##) increases. If indeed there is no net external force on the system, doesn't the increase in the physicist's speed imply a violation of Newton's law for extended objects (##\Sigma F_e = \frac{dp}{dt}##) ?

Attachments

• Ang. Momentum.png
    Ang. Momentum.png
    11.3 KB · Views: 1,150
Physics news on Phys.org
brotherbobby said:
However, the net momentum of the physicist (##p=mv##) increases.
Why do you say that?

Doesn't the tangential velocity (##v_{\perp}##) increase? You asked a good question and I was wondering too. After all, we know that the (tangential) velocity ##v_{\perp} = \omega r##, so one might argue that ##v_{\perp}## remains the same as the angular velocity (##\omega##)increases and the "radius" (##r##) of the physicist's arms decreases.

Nonetheless, it does look as if the physicist (or a gymast doing figure skating) is indeed moving with higher and higher speeds as his (her) body "radius" goes down.

Let me attach a picture from Arfken's Book (University Physics) where the caption of the diagram he draws makes the increase in the tangential velocity explicit.

Ang. Momentum.png

Thank you for your interest.

Attachments

• Ang. Momentum.png
    Ang. Momentum.png
    16.7 KB · Views: 601
brotherbobby said:
I am assuming that the net external force (ΣFeΣFe\Sigma F_e) is also zero

Is it easy to pull your arms in?

brotherbobby said:
Nonetheless, it does look as if the physicist (or a gymast doing figure skating) is indeed moving with higher and higher speeds as his (her) body "radius" goes down.
The point is that they are not moving. Or more precisely, their centre of mass is not moving, so ##v=0##. Parts of the body are going faster, but not with respect to the centre of mass. So the angular velocity increases, but not the linear velocity. As you figured out yourself, an external force would be needed for the latter to change. (We are of course neglecting friction at the pivot point which could make an actual skater start moving.)

Likes Dale
DrClaude said:
Parts of the body are going faster, but not with respect to the centre of mass

I agree with your answer and see my mistake. The CM of the rotating physicist (or skater) was always at rest.

However, it is the quote above that confuses me. Indeed parts of the body and moving faster with respect to the CM, but it is the CM itself that is at rest.

But are we right in saying that the speed of even its parts indeed increase?

Could it not be that the increase in the angular speed (##\omega_2 > \omega_1##) is exactly offset by a decrease in the radius (##r_2 < r_1##) so that the speed (##v = \omega r##) remains constant?

Thank you for your interest.

brotherbobby said:
Could it not be that the increase in the angular speed (##\omega_2 > \omega_1##) is exactly offset by a decrease in the radius (##r_2 < r_1##) so that the speed (##v = \omega r##) remains constant?
Some parts of the skater will have an increase in ##v_\perp## without any change in ##r##, for example the shoulders.

brotherbobby said:
Could it not be that the increase in the angular speed (ω2>ω1\omega_2 > \omega_1) is exactly offset by a decrease in the radius (r2<r1r_2 < r_1) so that the speed (v=ωrv = \omega r) remains constant?

It could be in some situations, but I don't believe that's the case here. Also it's not necessary.

Let's focus on the dumbbells. Let's take a simpler system which consists of two rotating dumbbells held to the center by massless rods (or, alternately, "consider a massless professor" [1]). So all the mass is in the dumbbells. Let's start the system rotating with radius ##r_1##.

The moment of inertia of this system is ##2mr_1^2## where ##m## is the mass of one dumbbell. The angular momentum is ##I \omega_1 = 2mr_1^2\omega_1##.

Now pull the dumbbells into radius ##r_2##. The new momentum of inertia is ##2mr_2^2##. Angular momentum is conserved, so ##2mr_1^2\omega_1 = 2mr_2^2\omega_2## or ##(r_1/r_2)^2 = \omega_2/\omega_1##. And ##v_2/v_1 = (r_2\omega_2)/(r_1\omega_1)## ##= r_1/r_2##. The linear velocity is in inverse proportion to the radius.

Note that for the professor with mass, who is carrying some of the moment of inertia, that proportion won't hold. But any way, the linear velocity is definitely not constant. For the massless professor, the dumbbells have higher linear as well as angular velocity.

How can that be? Remember, this is a rotating system. The dumbbell in his right hand is now moving faster. But the dumbbell in his left hand is now moving faster in the opposite direction, at all times. Their total linear momentum at all times is zero, just as it was before.

[1] There's an old joke about "consider a spherical cow". You can take it either as a physics joke, or making fun of physicists and their approximations.

Last edited:
Likes DrClaude
brotherbobby said:
However, the net momentum of the physicist (p=mvp=mvp=mv) increases.
The net momentum is 0 in both cases. The center of mass is not moving in either case.

RPinPA said:
[1] There's an old joke about "consider a spherical cow". You can take it either as a physics joke, or making fun of physicists and their approximations.

Nothing funny about it at all. An excellent response, never mind the answer was already beginning to appear in mind.

On second thoughts, I read something I hadn't quite realized in Arfken's book (University Physics).

" The conservation of linear momentum and the conservation of angular momentum of a system are mutually independent. It is possible to have a system to have its linear momentum conserved while its angular momentum changes, and vice versa".

(He goes on to give the example of two children on opposite ends of a merry-go-round who apply equal forces, thanks to friction with the ground, to make the system rotate. The net force on the system is zero and it's CM is at rest. But there is a net torque).

brotherbobby said:
Could it not be that the increase in the angular speed (ω2>ω1) is exactly offset by a decrease in the radius (r2<r1) so that the speed (v=ωrv) remains constant?
The tangential speed does not remain constant. That means that the kinetic energy is increased. The increase in KE is equal to the work done bringing the weights in. Conservation of energy is also separate from conservation of angular momentum and conservation of linear momentum.

Likes PeroK
brotherbobby said:
That would not conserve angular momentum.

You have to decide your reference frame.
Are you messuring independent body parts or the system as a whole.

Individually, his body parts can change momentum, gain/loose KE, velocity ect... But the momentum by the man (the total system) will be the same before and after assuming as you said no external forcres have been applied.

1. What is a rotating physicist?

A rotating physicist is a scientist who studies the behavior and properties of rotating objects, such as planets, stars, and galaxies. They use principles of physics, such as angular momentum and conservation of momentum, to understand the motion and dynamics of these objects.

2. What is momentum conservation?

Momentum conservation is a fundamental law of physics that states that the total momentum of a closed system remains constant. This means that in a closed system, the total amount of momentum before and after an interaction or event will be the same.

3. How does rotation affect momentum conservation?

Rotation affects momentum conservation by introducing the concept of angular momentum, which is the product of an object's moment of inertia and its angular velocity. In a rotating system, the total angular momentum is conserved, meaning that any changes in the moment of inertia or angular velocity of an object will be offset by an opposite change in the other variable to maintain the total angular momentum.

4. What are some real-world examples of momentum conservation in rotating systems?

One example is the conservation of angular momentum in the rotation of a spinning top. As the top spins, its angular momentum remains constant, even as it experiences changes in its moment of inertia due to friction or external forces. Another example is the conservation of angular momentum in the orbits of planets around the sun, where the total angular momentum of the system remains constant despite changes in the planet's distance from the sun.

5. How is momentum conservation related to other laws of physics?

Momentum conservation is closely related to other fundamental laws of physics, such as Newton's laws of motion and the law of conservation of energy. In fact, momentum conservation can be derived from these laws, making it an essential concept in understanding the behavior of physical systems.