Calculating Maximum Revs/Sec w/ Speed c & Circumference of Disk

In summary, the maximum number of revolutions per second for a disk is determined by dividing the speed of light by the circumference of the disk. This relationship remains the same in the disk's own "frame," but the circumference may appear larger due to length contraction. The Ehrenfest paradox explores this concept further. The link provided offers more information, but the math may be difficult to follow. The use of pi in the calculations may seem unnecessary, but it is necessary for calculating the number of revolutions per second.
QuantumHop
I'm assuming the maximum number of revolutions per second for a disk is defined as speed c divided by the circumference of the disk, eg a disk with a circumference of half a meter is allowed to rotate twice as fast per second as a disk with a circumference of one meter.

C = circumfrence of the disk
c = speed of light
mrps = maximum revolutions per second (not meters per second)

So is the value of mrps nice and simple : mrps = c / C

Or are there more complicated relativistic affects, for example does the circumference shrink due to length contraction.

Physics news on Phys.org
The relationship that the velocity in the lab frame is 2*pi*r* revolutions / second, where r is the radius in the lab frame, doesn't change in the lab frame. The circumference of the disk in its own "frame" (which is not really a frame!) is different (larger) than 2*pi*r however. See any of the threads about the Ehrenfest paradox.

pervect said:
The relationship that the velocity in the lab frame is 2*pi*r* revolutions / second, where r is the radius in the lab frame, doesn't change in the lab frame. The circumference of the disk in its own "frame" (which is not really a frame!) is different (larger) than 2*pi*r however. See any of the threads about the Ehrenfest paradox.

I thought something strange was going to happen but wasn't sure, thanks for the info.

I found this link, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ehrenfest_paradox

But I can't follow most of the math, why are they complicating things by using radius * pi? If I know the circumference I don't need pi. A circumference of 1m means it can rotate 299792458 times a second.

Oh wait I think I see why they don't use its circumference.

What is the equation for calculating maximum revolutions per second?

The equation for calculating maximum revolutions per second is:
Max Revs/Sec = Speed of Light (c) / Circumference of Disk

How do you convert the circumference of a disk to meters?

To convert the circumference of a disk from any unit to meters, you can use the formula:
Circumference in meters = Circumference in original unit / 100

What is the value of the speed of light (c) in meters per second?

The speed of light (c) is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second.

Can the maximum revolutions per second ever exceed the speed of light?

No, the maximum revolutions per second cannot exceed the speed of light. This is because the speed of light is the fastest speed at which any object can travel in the universe.

Can this equation be applied to any disk, regardless of its size or material?

Yes, this equation can be applied to any disk as long as the speed of light and the circumference are measured in the same units. This equation is a fundamental principle of physics and can be applied to any rotating object.