Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mathematica Rotation of 3D Plot using Euler angles

1. Feb 15, 2016 #1
    So, I'm trying to plot a 3D "dipole" (an arrow with a small torus around it basically) in mathematica, and want to rotate it according to Euler angles...

I use this code for the rotation matrix:

rot[a, b, g] := RotationMatrix[g, {1, 0, 0}].RotationMatrix[b, {0, 1, 0}].RotationMatrix[a, {0, 0, 1}]

and I obtain the standard Euler angles rotation matrix.

For the arrow and the torus I'm using:

arrow[x_, y_, z_,a_, b_, g_, r_] := Graphics3D[{Red, Cone[{rot[a, b, g].{0, 0, 2^4 r} + {x, y, z}, rot[a, b, g].{0, 0, 2^4 r + 2^2 r} + {x, y, z}}, 3 r], Cylinder[{rot[a, b, g].{0, 0, 0} + {x, y, z}, rot[a, b, g].{0, 0, 2^4 r} + {x, y, z}}, r]}]

torus[x_, y_, z_, a_, b_, g_, r_] := ParametricPlot3D[rot[a, b, g].{(r*Cos[m] + 4 r) Cos[v], (r*Cos[m] + 4 r) Sin[v], r*Sin + z} + {x, y, z}, {m, 0, 2 Pi}, {v, 0, 2 Pi}, Mesh -> None, PlotStyle -> {Green, Opacity[.25]}]

(Note that I also introduced a boost) The next step is to show both plots using manipulate to change the angle and boost values, the code I use is simply:

Manipulate[Show[arrow[x,y,z-8,a,b,g,1], torus[x,y,z,a,b,g,1]], {x,0,1}, {y,0,1}, {z,0,1}, {a,0,2Pi}, {b,0,2Pi}, {g,0,2Pi}]

Everything is ok until here, the plot of a dipole is shown and it moves smootly. The problem is when I start introducing more and more arrows and torus. If I want, for example, 4 dipoles, the plot gets really really slow...

So, any plot optimization tips?

Thank you for your help!

Last edited: Feb 15, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 20, 2016 #2
    Thanks for the post! This is an automated courtesy bump. Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

4. Mar 20, 2016 #3
    I have seen complex combinations of plots bog down in a Manipulate. It seems doing only 4 dipoles (each with a Graphic3D and a ParametricPlot3D) shouldn't be too bad, but that may depend on the CPU/cores/memory of your system. Did you integrate each of the 4 within the one Graphic3D and one ParametricPlot3D or are you processing 8 separate delayed functions and then Show'ing that?

If so, you might also try creating a single (complex) graphic object and use a Rotate command against that (instead of doing all the ParametricPlot3D's for each).

In a worst case scenario when I have hundreds or thousands of objects floating around a 3D space (e.g. where I am doing a parallelized CPU or GPU based simulation of some early inflationary Universe N-Body gravitational model of theoretical particles), I create a 2D raster of it and simply do an Inset of that into the 3D space.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2016
  5. Mar 20, 2016 #4
    Hi Gregory, thank you for your reply. The solution for me was processing the 4 separate dipoles and then showing that as you say, the problem was that I was trying to plot all the four dipoles at the same time

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted