Rotation of Axis and Hyperbolic Sound Travelling Word problem?

In summary, the problem involves two recording devices set 2400 feet apart, with a small explosion detonated at a point 400 feet from one of the devices. The time difference recorded by the devices is used to find the distance of a second explosion directly north of the first site. The standard form of a hyperbola and the equation cot(2X)=4/3 are mentioned, but it is unclear how they relate to the problem. An expression for the time difference can be found in terms of the distances between the two devices and the point of explosion.
amd123

Homework Statement

6x^2-6xy+14y^2-45=0

Two recording devices are set 2400 feet apart, with the device at Point A to the west of the device at point B. At a point on a line between the devices, 400 feet from point B, a small amount of explosive is detonated. The recording devices record the time the sound reaches each one. How far directly north of site B should a second explosion be done so that the measured time difference recorded by the devices is the same as that for the first detonation?

Homework Equations

I know the standard form of a hyperbola and I know that you have to use cot 2X = 4/3.
I don't know where to go from there.

The Attempt at a Solution

I've attempted the problem multiple times but I don't have my digi cam to take pictures of it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you find an expression for the time difference in terms of the distance between the point of an explosion and points A and B? (You can leave the speed of sound in as an unknown, it cancels out in the end.) For the 2nd case, the distances are two sides of a right triangle, so the Pythagorean formula gives you another relationship between them.

You give an equation of a hyperbola, then a word problem that says nothing at all about the equation. What is the relationship between the problem and the equation? Also you say that "cot(2X)= 4/3" without any indication of what X is or what relationship it has with the problem.

1. What is the concept of rotation of axis in mathematics?

The concept of rotation of axis in mathematics refers to the process of changing the coordinate system from the standard Cartesian coordinates to a new set of coordinates. This is done by rotating the axes around the origin in a specified direction and angle.

2. How is rotation of axis used in solving hyperbolic sound travelling word problems?

In hyperbolic sound travelling word problems, rotation of axis is used to simplify the equations by transforming them into a new coordinate system. This helps in analyzing and solving the problem more easily.

3. What is a hyperbolic sound travelling word problem?

A hyperbolic sound travelling word problem is a mathematical problem that involves the motion of sound waves in a hyperbolic path. It usually requires the use of equations and concepts from trigonometry and calculus to solve.

4. How do you determine the direction and angle of rotation in a rotation of axis problem?

The direction and angle of rotation in a rotation of axis problem can be determined by identifying the new axes and their orientation in relation to the original axes. The direction of rotation is determined by the order in which the axes are rotated (clockwise or counterclockwise) and the angle of rotation is calculated using trigonometric functions.

5. Can rotation of axis be used in other mathematical problems aside from hyperbolic sound travelling word problems?

Yes, rotation of axis is a useful mathematical tool that can be applied in various problems such as graphing, solving systems of equations, and analyzing conic sections. It is a versatile concept that can simplify complex equations and provide a new perspective in problem-solving.