Rotation of Axis and Hyperbolic Sound Travelling Word problem?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 4K views
amd123
Messages
110
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


6x^2-6xy+14y^2-45=0

Two recording devices are set 2400 feet apart, with the device at Point A to the west of the device at point B. At a point on a line between the devices, 400 feet from point B, a small amount of explosive is detonated. The recording devices record the time the sound reaches each one. How far directly north of site B should a second explosion be done so that the measured time difference recorded by the devices is the same as that for the first detonation?

Homework Equations


I know the standard form of a hyperbola and I know that you have to use cot 2X = 4/3.
I don't know where to go from there.

The Attempt at a Solution


I've attempted the problem multiple times but I don't have my digi cam to take pictures of it.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Can you find an expression for the time difference in terms of the distance between the point of an explosion and points A and B? (You can leave the speed of sound in as an unknown, it cancels out in the end.) For the 2nd case, the distances are two sides of a right triangle, so the Pythagorean formula gives you another relationship between them.
 
You give an equation of a hyperbola, then a word problem that says nothing at all about the equation. What is the relationship between the problem and the equation? Also you say that "cot(2X)= 4/3" without any indication of what X is or what relationship it has with the problem.