Determine matrix for reflection followed by rotation

In summary: The first approach is wrong. Again, it would help if you wrote it mathematically. You start with the mirror transform$$\vec{a}' = \mathbf{M} \vec{a}$$then you apply rotation$$\vec{a}'' = \mathbf{R} \vec{a}'$$So substituting ##\vec{a}'## in the 2nd using the 1st equation$$\begin{align*}\vec{a}'' &= \mathbf{R} \vec{a}' = \mathbf{R} \mathbf{M} \vec{a} \\&
Richie Smash

Homework Statement

Hi good morning to all.
The problem at hand states, that the points A (3,0) and B (5,0) are reflected in the mirror line y=x.
Determine the images A' and B' of these points.

I've done that using the reflection in the line y=x which i know to be
\begin{bmatrix}
0 &1 \\
1 & 0
\end{bmatrix}

I got A'(0,3) and B'(0,5). The question then says, A' and B' are rotated 90° counterclockwise about the origin.
Find the images A'' and B'' of A' and B'.

I've also done this using the fact that a 90 degree anti-clockwise rotation looks like this (x,y) = (-y,x)

SO now I'm at this point, where they ask, determine the single matrix which represents the reflection followed by the rotation above.

I'm unsure of how to approach this.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Richie Smash said:
I've also done this using the fact that a 90 degree anti-clockwise rotation looks like this (x,y) = (-y,x)
Can you write this transformation as a matrix?

After that, think about what applying consecutive transformations means in terms of matrices and vectors.

Well, according to my book a 90 degree anti-clockwise rotation is written as
\begin{bmatrix}
0 &-1 \\
1 & 0
\end{bmatrix}

Now what comes to my mind is multiplying both matrices I have and I'm sure it will give me the answer, but the problem is, what order will I multiply them in?
I know matrix multiplication is funny like that, and the order matters.

Do I multiply rotation by reflection, or reflection by rotation?

Think about it step by step. If ##\vec{a}## is the original vector, after reflection by matrix ##\mathbf{M}##, you have
$$
\vec{a}' = \mathbf{M} \vec{a}
$$
Then you need to rotate ##\vec{a}'## with matrix ##\mathbf{R}##. What does that look like?

vector a'' = Rvec(a')

Richie Smash said:
vector a'' = Rvec(a')
Yes, so combine both operations into one: how do you go from a to a''?

You have to go through M then R which when I do gives me
\begin{bmatrix}
1 &0 \\
0 & -1
\end{bmatrix}

However, when using this new matrix T and multiplying by say the original vector a, it does not give me a''.

Only when I multiply R by M in that order does it give me
\begin{bmatrix}
-1 &0 \\
0 & 1
\end{bmatrix}

And using the same vector a to verify, it does indeed give me a'' which is (-3,0)

Richie Smash said:
You have to go through M then R
Mathematically, what does this look like? The answer will tell you the order of the matrices to construct the full transformation matrix.

I edited my post above.

Richie Smash said:
You have to go through M then R which when I do gives me
\begin{bmatrix}
1 &0 \\
0 & -1
\end{bmatrix}

However, when using this new matrix T and multiplying by say the original vector a, it does not give me a''.

Only when I multiply R by M in that order does it give me
\begin{bmatrix}
-1 &0 \\
0 & 1
\end{bmatrix}

And using the same vector a to verify, it does indeed give me a'' which is (-3,0)
The first approach is wrong. Again, it would help if you wrote it mathematically. You start with the mirror transform
$$
\vec{a}' = \mathbf{M} \vec{a}
$$
then you apply rotation
$$
\vec{a}'' = \mathbf{R} \vec{a}'
$$
So substituting ##\vec{a}'## in the 2nd using the 1st equation
$$
\begin{align*}
\vec{a}'' &= \mathbf{R} \vec{a}' = \mathbf{R} \mathbf{M} \vec{a} \\
&= \mathbf{T} \vec{a}
\end{align*}
$$
So you see that ## \mathbf{T} = \mathbf{R} \mathbf{M}##.

Likes Richie Smash
OH wow thanks a lot doctor, that really was super clear... wow...

1. What is a reflection matrix?

A reflection matrix is a mathematical representation of a reflection transformation in a coordinate system. It is a square matrix that has 1s and -1s along the main diagonal and 0s elsewhere.

2. How is a reflection matrix determined?

A reflection matrix is determined by the line of reflection. The perpendicular bisector of this line is used to find the matrix values. The matrix for reflection over the x-axis is [1 0 ; 0 -1], for reflection over the y-axis is [-1 0 ; 0 1], and for reflection over the line y = x is [0 1 ; 1 0].

3. What is a rotation matrix?

A rotation matrix is a mathematical representation of a rotation transformation in a coordinate system. It is a square matrix that has trigonometric functions (cosine and sine) of the rotation angle along the main diagonal and 0s and -0s elsewhere.

4. How is a rotation matrix determined?

A rotation matrix is determined by the angle of rotation, which is measured in radians. The matrix for a counterclockwise rotation by an angle θ is [cos θ -sin θ ; sin θ cos θ].

5. How is a matrix for reflection followed by rotation determined?

A matrix for reflection followed by rotation is determined by multiplying the reflection matrix and the rotation matrix in the desired order. For example, to reflect over the x-axis and then rotate counterclockwise by an angle θ, the resulting matrix would be [cos θ -sin θ ; -sin θ -cos θ].