1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rotation of cartesian coordinate system

1. Sep 10, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Please see the rotation formula in the attachment.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I understand this formula rotates x,y into x',y' by some angle theta. Problem is, how is this formula derived? I cannot for the life of me visualize the cosine and sine transformation physically. Can someone explain to me how you get this formula. Thank you very much.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 10, 2012 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Consider the vector that extends from the origin to the point (x,y) in the base coordinate system. It has some magnitude R and angle β with respect to the x-axis of the coordinate system. In fact, x = Rcos(β) and y = Rsin(β).

Rotating that point around the origin by some angle θ is equivalent to rotating the vector by θ, so what would the coordinates of its endpoint be?

4. Sep 11, 2012 #3
    so the end points would be x=Rcos(β+θ), y=Rsin(β+θ). Then what? I still can't see how this relates to the formula, espcially how in the formula for x' and y' individually there are x and y terms together.

5. Sep 11, 2012 #4
    What you just found are the [itex]x'[/itex] and [itex]y'[/itex] coordinates. Expand the sines and cosines using angle sum formulas and put any sines or cosines of [itex]\beta[/itex] in terms of the origina [itex]x,y[/itex].

6. Sep 11, 2012 #5
    x' = R(cosβcosθ-sinβsinθ)
    y' = R(sinβcosθ+sinβcosθ)

x' = R[(x/R)cosθ-(y/R)sinθ]
    y' = R[(y/R)cosθ+(y/R)cosθ]

arrrrgh almost there. First term in y' is wrong. I get y' = ycosθ .... instead of y' = xsinθ ...

Can someone point out myt mistake? Thanks a lot for your help!

7. Sep 11, 2012 #6
    In your second line, you forgot to switch beta and theta in the second term.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook