Deriving Rotational Energy Equation for Rigid Bodies

In summary, the energy of rotation for a rigid body rotating with angular velocity \omega may be written as: E = \dfrac {1}{2}I\omega^{2}
Crosshash
Hello, I think I've got the right idea on how to perform this question but I just need a little bit of help.

Homework Statement

Show that for a rigid body rotating with angular velocity [itex]\omega[/itex] the energy of rotation may be written as:
[itex]E = \dfrac {1}{2}I\omega^{2}[/itex]

where the moment of inertia of the body about the axis of rotation is given by:
[itex]I = \int dV \rho r^{2}[/itex]

where [itex]r[/itex] is the distance from the rotation axis to the volume element [itex]dV[/itex] and [itex]\rho[/itex] is the density of the object in that region

Homework Equations

[itex]E = \dfrac {1}{2} mv^{2}[/itex]
[itex]v = \omega r[/itex]
[itex] I = \int r^{2} dm[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I can firstly identify that

[itex]E = \dfrac {1}{2} mv^{2}[/itex] which looks similar to the rotation energy equation.

I know that
[itex]v = \omega r[/itex]

But what's confusing me is that usually, the moment of Inertia is represented as
[itex] I = \int r^{2} dm[/itex] and I don't really know how to link the two.

Substiting angular velocity into the energy equation

[itex] E = \dfrac {1}{2} m(r\omega)^{2}[/itex]

but where do I go now?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
So if you have a little volume dV at radius r, its mass is rho*dV, right? What is the kinetic energy of this little piece? For the total energy you should then sum (read: integrate) all these pieces.

Thanks for the reply CompuChip, sorry for this late reply. I took onboard what you said, perhaps you could verify my answer.

I have [itex] v = \omega r[/itex]

[itex]I = \int dV \rho r^{2}[/itex]

[itex] dm = \rho dV[/itex]

[itex] I = \int \dfrac {dm}{\rho} \rho r^{2}[/itex]

[itex] I = \int dm r^{2}[/itex]

[itex] I = r^{2} \int dm[/itex]

[itex] I = r^{2}m[/itex]

[itex] m = \dfrac {I}{r^{2}}[/itex]

[itex] E = \dfrac {1}{2} m v^{2}[/itex]

[itex] E = \dfrac {1}{2} m \omega^{2} r^{2}[/itex]

[itex] E = \dfrac {1}{2} \dfrac {I}{r^{2}} \omega^{2} r^{2}[/itex]

[itex] E = \dfrac {1}{2} I \omega^{2}[/itex]

Is that the best way?

1. What is rotational energy?

Rotational energy is the energy an object possesses due to its rotation around an axis. It is a form of kinetic energy and is dependent on the object's mass, velocity, and rotational inertia.

2. How is rotational energy derived?

Rotational energy can be derived from the work done by a torque force on an object that is rotating around an axis. The formula for rotational energy is 1/2 * I * ω^2, where I is the moment of inertia and ω is the angular velocity.

3. What is the difference between rotational energy and linear energy?

The main difference between rotational energy and linear energy is the direction of movement. Rotational energy is associated with objects that are rotating around an axis, while linear energy is associated with objects that are moving in a straight line. Additionally, rotational energy depends on the object's moment of inertia, while linear energy depends on the object's mass.

4. How is rotational energy used in real life?

Rotational energy is used in many everyday objects, such as wheels, gears, and motors. It is also utilized in more complex systems, such as turbines in power plants and engines in cars. Rotational energy is also important in sports, such as figure skating and gymnastics, where athletes use rotational energy to perform various movements and tricks.

5. Can rotational energy be converted into other forms of energy?

Yes, rotational energy can be converted into other forms of energy, such as heat and electrical energy. For example, in a power plant, the rotational energy of a turbine is converted into electrical energy. In a car, the rotational energy of the engine's crankshaft is converted into linear energy to power the wheels. Similarly, rotational energy can also be converted into potential energy, such as when a rollercoaster reaches the top of a hill and has stored rotational energy that is then released as potential energy during the descent.