Rotational energy & rotating rod

In summary: Yes, if the rod rotates through an angle ##\theta##, the tip of the rod moves through a distance (along the arc) ##r\theta##, yes.
Valerie Prowse

Homework Statement

Consider a uniform rod of mass 12 kg and length l.0 m. At its end, the rod is attached to a fixed, friction-free pivot. Initially the rod is balanced vertically above the pivot and begins to fall (from rest) as shown in the diagram. Determine,

a. the angular acceleration of the rod as it passes through the horizontal at B.

b. the angular speed of the rod as it passes through the vertical at C.

Homework Equations

I = mr^2

KE(rotation)i = KE(rotation)f,

1/2Iω^2 + mgL = ...etc.

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I have it figured out, but I would just like to double check my answer as it's an assignment question.

I started with:

I (rod) = 1/3mL^2
L = 1.0m
m = 12kg
center of mass = L/2 = 0.5m

For a)

E0 = Ef
mg(L/2) = 1/2 (1/3mL22
(mgL)/2 = 1/6mL2ω2
ω = sqrt[(3g/L)] = 5.4 rad/s

For b)

I wasn't entirely sure how to go about this part without including some form of potential energy.. since rotational energy at point A would just = E at point C and everything would be the same?? I thought maybe since point C is below the axis of rotation that the center of mass would be located at -0.5m?

1/2Iω2 = 1/2Iω2 - (mgL/2)
(mL2ω2)/6 + (mgL)/2 = (mL2ω2)/6
ω2 (point C) = (mL2ω2 + 3mgL)/mL2
ω2 = (mL[Lω2+3g]/mL2) (L = 1)
ω = sqrt(ω2+3g)
ω = 7.65 rad/s

The answer does seem plausible to me, but I am not sure if my approach in adding mg(-L/2) to the KE in part B was correct. Any feedback is appreciated!:smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
a) asks for the angular acceleration, not the angular velocity
Valerie Prowse said:
1/2Iω2 = 1/2Iω2 - (mgL/2)
Same ω on both sides?!

haruspex said:
a) asks for the angular acceleration, not the angular velocity

Same ω on both sides?!

Sorry, I didn't include subscripts. The angular velocity on the left in that equation is the angular velocity at point B, which I found in part A to be 5.4 rad/s, assuming that is the correct answer. The angular velocity on the right is unknown.

Valerie Prowse said:
Sorry, I didn't include subscripts. The angular velocity on the left in that equation is the angular velocity at point B, which I found in part A to be 5.4 rad/s, assuming that is the correct answer. The angular velocity on the right is unknown.
OK. I agree with your answer to part b. You could have got there directly using the method of part a, but not the result you got for part a. Please clarify whether a) asks for the angular velocity or angular acceleration.

haruspex said:
OK. I agree with your answer to part b. You could have got there directly using the method of part a, but not the result you got for part a. Please clarify whether a) asks for the angular velocity or angular acceleration.

Whoops, my bad. I misread part a.

Instead...

ω2 = ω02 + aα(θ-θ0)
α = (ω2)/2θ
α = (5.4)2/ 2(1.57) = 9.28 rad/s2

I got the value 1.57 rad = 90° from the attached image.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-03-08 at 8.15.37 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-03-08 at 8.15.37 PM.png
    1.3 KB · Views: 472
  • Screen Shot 2015-03-08 at 8.15.37 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-03-08 at 8.15.37 PM.png
    1.3 KB · Views: 483
Valerie Prowse said:
α = (ω2)/2θ
As with the linear SUVAT equations, that's only valid for constant acceleration. Look at the forces instead.

So you mean torque?

If τ = rF⊥,
τ = (L/2)(mg) = 58.8

and

α = τ/I = τ/(1/3mL2) = 14.7 rad/s

Valerie Prowse said:
So you mean torque?

If τ = rF⊥,
τ = (L/2)(mg) = 58.8

and

α = τ/I = τ/(1/3mL2) = 14.7 rad/s
Looks right, except for the units.

so for part a of this question, it's

t = r x F⊥ = 58.8 m*N

α = 58.8 / (1/3 (12kg) (1m)) = 14.7 rad/s^2

then for part b we can do

w^2 = w°^2 + 2αθ = (0) + 2 (14.7 rad/s^2)(3.14 rad)
w = 9.61 rad /s
Why couldn't you just do Ei = Ef in part a?

mgh = 1/2lw^2

with w = 5.4 rad/s

then find α with the relationship w^2 = w°^2 + 2αθ ?

SteveS said:
then for part b we can do

w^2 = w°^2 + 2αθ = (0) + 2 (14.7 rad/s^2)(3.14 rad)
That equation is only valid for a constant acceleration.

I've been doing this stuff all day and my mind is really fried.

There was a similar example my professor did before though slightly different situation. Instead of continuing to position C in the diagram, the ground was position B. The example goes like this,

E
i = ½mgL.

Ef = ½Iω2

I = ⅓mL2.

Ef = 1/6 ML^2w^2

then put them together

1/2mgl = 1/6 ML^2 w^2

w = √(3g/L)

but then there is this massive jump to

v = Lw

which I do not understand.. All this is beyond me for some reason today and my final is friday :(

SteveS said:
v = Lw
which I do not understand.. All this is beyond me for some reason today and my final is friday :(
Where v, I assume, is the velocity at the tip of the rod.
If the rod rotates through an angle ##\theta##, the tip of the rod moves through a distance (along the arc) ##r\theta##, yes? If you differentiate that you should get the above equation.
Note that these equations only work if we measure angles in radians (which is the whole reason radians were invented).

ok I'm lost lol...

So back to the question originally posted,

This is correct for part a?

t = r x F⊥ = 58.8 m*N

From there then I'm not sure where to go? Am I using the conservation of angular momentum?

Ok so I went back at it,

I used the conservation of energy..

mgh = 1/2Iw^2

2mgh = 1/3ML^2 * w^2

works down to

w^2 = 6g/L

w = 7.67 rad/s

which is just the square root of the torque found in part a... is that just a coincidence or a short cut?

SteveS said:
ok I'm lost lol...

So back to the question originally posted,

This is correct for part a?

t = r x F⊥ = 58.8 m*N

From there then I'm not sure where to go? Am I using the conservation of angular momentum?
Yes, that's right for part a.
Angular momentum will not be conserved. (Can you see why?)
What will be conserved?

Is angular momentum not conserved because the F⊥ changes as it moves through the arc?

SteveS said:
Is angular momentum not conserved because the F⊥ changes as it moves through the arc?
First, you have to specify what point you are taking as the reference axis for angular momentum. But in the present case, you will find that whatever point you choose there will be a force (gravity or the force from the pivot) which has a moment about that axis. Hence, angular momentum will not be conserved.

Ah, gravity provides a constant external force so momentum can't be conserved, am I correct?

SteveS said:
Ah, gravity provides a constant external force so momentum can't be conserved, am I correct?
Well, if you could find a reference axis that was always in the same vertical line as mg then mg would have no torque about it so would not affect the angular momentum. The mass centre of the rod is such a point. (It is ok to take the mass centre as such an axis, but in general you should not take an accelerating axis.). But the force from the pivot will have moment about the mass centre, except when the rod is vertical, so still angular momentum will not be conserved.

If we know angular acceleration of the first half of the rotation (to horizontal), how could I use this value to figure out the angular velocity at the bottom? I'm assuming angular acceleration would be constant throughout? I looked at some equations, but nothing that gave me the answer I had using conservation of energy.

Jam51 said:
If we know angular acceleration of the first half of the rotation (to horizontal), how could I use this value to figure out the angular velocity at the bottom? I'm assuming angular acceleration would be constant throughout? I looked at some equations, but nothing that gave me the answer I had using conservation of energy.
No, the angular acceleration is certainly not constant. The question does not ask for the angular acceleration "for" rotation to the horizontal, it asks for it at the horizontal. For the purposes of this question, you do not need to find the acceleration at any other position.

Ok, thanks for clearing that up! I do understand the difference now.

1. What is rotational energy?

Rotational energy is a form of energy that is associated with the motion of a rotating object around an axis. It is proportional to the object's moment of inertia and angular velocity.

2. How is rotational energy calculated?

The formula for calculating rotational energy is E=1/2Iω^2, where E is the rotational energy, I is the moment of inertia, and ω is the angular velocity.

3. What is a rotating rod?

A rotating rod is a cylindrical object that is able to rotate around its central axis. It can be made of various materials and is often used in mechanical systems to transmit or convert energy.

4. How does rotational energy differ from linear energy?

Rotational energy is different from linear energy in that it involves the motion of an object around an axis, while linear energy involves the motion of an object in a straight line. Additionally, rotational energy is dependent on the object's moment of inertia, while linear energy is dependent on its mass and velocity.

5. What are some real-world applications of rotational energy?

Rotational energy has many real-world applications, such as in the operation of machines and vehicles, such as cars and airplanes. It is also used in the generation of electricity through wind turbines and hydroelectric dams. In sports, rotational energy is utilized in activities such as figure skating, gymnastics, and discus throwing.