Rotational KINEMATICS (confusing)

In summary, a toy train accelerates constantly from 0.82 m/s to 3.43 m/s in 0.479 revolutions while traveling around a circular track of r 16.7 cm. The magnitude of the angular acceleration is .00656 rad/sec2.
avenkat0

Homework Statement

a) A 1.79 kg toy train accelerates constantly from 0.82 m/s to 3.43 m/s in 0.479 revolutions while traveling around a circular track of r 16.7 cm. Find:

- α, magnitude of the angular acceleration.

Homework Equations

img23.gif

img22.gif

The Attempt at a Solution

1. I first tried getting θ=(.479)(2pi)=3.009
  2. Then I found both the ωf and the ωo by finding the frequencies... I did this by first finding the distence covered by the partial revolution then using the velocity. I did this for both the ω's...
  3. Then i simply used the kinematic analog equation for rotational bodies and got α to be .00656 rad/sec2 and this came out to be wrong
Is there a flaw in my reasoning
Thank You

Attachments

• img23.gif
    img23.gif
    1.3 KB · Views: 390
Physics news on Phys.org
avenkat0 said:
Then I found both the ωf and the ωo by finding the frequencies... I did this by first finding the distence covered by the partial revolution then using the velocity. I did this for both the ω's...
I don't quite understand this step. Angular and tangential speeds are related by v = ωr.

Isn't w-2pi(f)

avenkat0 said:
Isn't w-2pi(f)
Do you mean does ω = 2pi(f)? Sure, you could think of it that way, but I don't see the point. You are given the linear speeds and the radius, so the angular speeds can be found immediately. (But, done correctly, you should get the same answer either way. Does your method give you the same answer?)

Ooh so after I find the angular velocity I would just Use the equations to find alpha??

And can you also explain why the tangental and angular velocities are related by v=omega (r)... Will an object traveling at 5 m/s linearly be going at 2.5 rad/s because it's going around a circle with radius 2?

Last edited:
avenkat0 said:
Ooh so after I find the angular velocity I would just Use the equations to find alpha??
Sure.
And can you also explain why the tangental and angular velocities are related by v=omega (r)... Will an object traveling at 5 m/s linearly be going at 2.5 rad/s because it's going around a circle with radius 2?
Yes.

Read this: Rotational Quantities

1. What is rotational kinematics?

Rotational kinematics is the branch of mechanics that deals with the motion of objects that rotate around a fixed axis. It involves studying the position, velocity, and acceleration of rotating objects.

2. What is the difference between linear and rotational kinematics?

The main difference between linear and rotational kinematics is that linear kinematics deals with the motion of objects in a straight line, while rotational kinematics deals with the motion of objects around a fixed axis.

3. What is angular velocity?

Angular velocity is a measure of how fast an object is rotating around a fixed axis. It is defined as the change in angular displacement over time and is measured in radians per second.

4. How is rotational kinematics related to torque?

Rotational kinematics is closely related to torque, which is a measure of the force that causes an object to rotate. In fact, the equations for rotational kinematics involve torque and moment of inertia, which is a measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion.

5. What are some real-life applications of rotational kinematics?

Rotational kinematics is used in many real-life applications, such as designing engines and turbines, understanding the motion of celestial bodies, and studying the movement of molecules in chemistry. It is also important in sports, such as gymnastics and figure skating, where rotational motion plays a crucial role.