Rotational and angular speed problem

In summary, a constant force of 50 N is applied tangentially to a solid disc with a 60cm radius. The disc has a moment of inertia of 40 kg m^2. To find the mass of the disc, the moment of inertia equation can be used. For parts b and c, the rotational kinematic equations can be applied, using the constant force of 50N for the summation of torque forces. For part d, the angular speed at t = 4s can be calculated and applied to the rotational kinetic energy equation, and compared to the work done by the external force from t = 0 to t = 4. In this problem, the beta value for a cylinder is 0.5
freshcoast

Homework Statement

A constant force of 50 N is applied tangentially to the rim of a solid disc with a 60cm radius. The wheel has a moment of inertia of 40 kg m^2

a) what is the mass of the disc?
b) 4 seconds after starting from rest, what angular speed does it have?
c) How many revolutions does it complete in 4 seconds?
d) Show by explicit calculation that the kinetic energy of the wheel when t = 4 is equal to the work done upon the wheel by the external force from t = 0 to t = 4.

Homework Equations

I = [itex]\beta[/itex] M R^2
[itex]\omega[/itex] = Δθ / s
Ʃ[itex]\tau[/itex] = I[itex]\alpha[/itex]

KE(rotation) = 1/2(rotational mass)ω^2

The Attempt at a Solution

For part a, which I think seems easy, is I apply the moment of inertia equation to solve for mass? but what I don't understand is what is the β part, in my notes it is the "form function" but in the problem statement it is not noted anywhere?

For part b and c, I'm thinking I can apply one of the rotational kinematic equations (ωf = ωo + [itex]\alpha[/itex]t ) where alpha is [itex]\tau[/itex] = I[itex]\alpha[/itex], but the part I am confused on is if I use the constant force of 50N for the summation of the torque forces? if so I can use that to find the rotational acceleration and just apply the rotational kinematic equations and be able to solve the question.

part d, I'm having trouble on this one, I'm thinking if the acceleration is as mentioned above, I believe I can calculate the angular speed at t = 4s, apply it to the rotational kinematic energy equation, and then compare that to the work = ΔKE ?

Physics news on Phys.org
a) If you look up the equation for the moment of inertia for a solid cylinder you will see that it is I = MR2/2 so β for a cylinder is 0.5.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_moments_of_inertia

b)&c) Remember Newtons F=ma ? Well for rotation there is the similar equation ...

Torque = moment of inertia x angular acceleration
and
Torque = force * distance = 50 * 0.6

they yes you apply the rotational rotational kinematic equations.

d) Yes. If this was a linear problem you would show that

Work applied = kinetic energy of the object
eg
Force * distance = 0.5 mass * velocity2

Write the equivalent for rotation.

The earlier parts of the question give you some numbers to plug in.

1. What is rotational speed?

Rotational speed refers to the number of revolutions or rotations that an object makes in a given time period. It is typically measured in rotations per minute (RPM) or radians per second (rad/s).

2. What is angular speed?

Angular speed is the rate at which an object rotates or turns around a fixed point. It is usually measured in radians per second (rad/s) or degrees per second (°/s).

3. What is the difference between rotational and angular speed?

Rotational speed is a measure of the number of rotations an object makes, while angular speed is a measure of how fast an object rotates. Rotational speed is dependent on the size of the object, while angular speed is independent of size.

4. How do you calculate rotational and angular speed?

To calculate rotational speed, divide the total number of rotations by the time it took to make those rotations. To calculate angular speed, divide the total angle turned by the time it took to turn that angle.

5. What are some real-life examples of rotational and angular speed?

Examples of rotational speed include the speed of a record on a turntable, the speed of a fan blade, or the speed of a car's wheels. Examples of angular speed include the speed of a Ferris wheel, the speed of a spinning top, or the speed of a swinging pendulum.