Rotational Kinematics: Falling Rod

In summary, the conversation discusses the motion of a uniform rigid rod attached to a pivot point and released from rest. The linear and angular velocities at the instant the rod is in the vertical position are derived using the principles of conservation of energy, with the final equations being V = ((3/2)gΔh)^(1/2) and ω = V/L. However, there is a discrepancy in the derivation, as the change in potential energy of the rod is not simply mgL. The conversation also hints at considering the center of mass of the rod and that the body has no translational kinetic energy.
Abbandon
1. A uniform rigid rod of length L and mass M is attached to a frictionless pivot point at one end. The rod is initially held completely horizontal and is released from rest. What is the linear and angular velocities at the instant the rod is in the vertical position?2. -ΔU = ΔK

3. -ΔU = ΔK(trans) + ΔK(rotat)
MgΔh = .5MV^2 + .5Iω^2 and I = (1/3)ML^2 since it is a rod pivoted at the end
MgΔh = .5MV^2 + .5((1/3)ML^2)ω^2 and Lω = V -------> V = (ω/L)
2gΔh = V^2 + (1/3)V^2
2gΔh = (4/3)V^2
V = ((3/2)gΔh) ^ (1/2) and ω = V/L = (((3/2)gΔh)^(1/2))/L

Is this correct? It then says to confirm your answer by using two photogates at the vertical position. The info for that problem is:

Length of the rod: 1m
Time it takes to get to the vertical position: 0.4419s
Time it takes to pass between the photogates: 0.0032s
Distance between the photogates: 0.016m
Mass of the rod (doesn't matter): 92.4g

Physics news on Phys.org
Abbandon said:
1. A uniform rigid rod of length L and mass M is attached to a frictionless pivot point at one end. The rod is initially held completely horizontal and is released from rest. What is the linear and angular velocities at the instant the rod is in the vertical position?2. -ΔU = ΔK

3. -ΔU = ΔK(trans) + ΔK(rotat)
MgΔh = .5MV^2 + .5Iω^2 and I = (1/3)ML^2 since it is a rod pivoted at the end
MgΔh = .5MV^2 + .5((1/3)ML^2)ω^2 and Lω = V -------> V = (ω/L)
2gΔh = V^2 + (1/3)V^2
2gΔh = (4/3)V^2
V = ((3/2)gΔh) ^ (1/2) and ω = V/L = (((3/2)gΔh)^(1/2))/L

Is this correct?

I do not think your derivation is correct. First, you did not specified what Δh and V are.
If you consider the motion of the rod with respect to the pivot then it is rotation about a fixed axis. KE=Iω2, I = 1/3 ML2.

ehild

ehild said:
I do not think your derivation is correct. First, you did not specified what Δh and V are.
If you consider the motion of the rod with respect to the pivot then it is rotation about a fixed axis. KE=Iω2, I = 1/3 ML2.

ehild

Sorry for not being clearer:
Δh = L since h(i) = 0 and h(f) = L
and V is the linear velocity at the vertical position

Last edited:
The change of the potential energy of the uniform rigid rod is not mgL. Think: the piece at the pivot does not change height, while the height of the opposite end changes by L.

Linear velocity of what piece of the rod do you speak about ?

ehild

HINT: 1.consider center of mass OF THE ROD ?
{--- BODY HAS NO TRANS. KINETIC ENERGY}

1. What is rotational kinematics?

Rotational kinematics is the branch of physics that deals with the motion of objects that are rotating or moving in a circular path. It involves analyzing the position, velocity, and acceleration of these objects as they undergo rotational motion.

2. How does a falling rod's length affect its rotational motion?

The length of a falling rod does not affect its rotational motion. The rod will rotate at a constant rate regardless of its length, as long as it is falling in a vacuum with no external forces acting upon it.

3. What is the difference between linear and rotational motion?

Linear motion refers to the movement of an object in a straight line, while rotational motion involves the rotation of an object around a fixed axis. Linear motion can be described using concepts such as displacement, velocity, and acceleration, while rotational motion can be described using concepts such as angular displacement, angular velocity, and angular acceleration.

4. How does the mass distribution of a falling rod affect its rotational motion?

The mass distribution of a falling rod, also known as its moment of inertia, can affect its rotational motion. Objects with a larger moment of inertia will rotate at a slower rate compared to objects with a smaller moment of inertia, assuming all other factors are the same.

5. What is the equation for calculating the angular acceleration of a falling rod?

The equation for calculating the angular acceleration of a falling rod is α = (3/2)g/L, where α is the angular acceleration, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and L is the length of the rod. This equation assumes that the rod is falling in a vacuum with no external forces acting upon it.