Rotational Motion - Centripetal force

In summary: So the equation would be v2=0?In summary, a car can only cross a humpbacked bridge at a speed that is greater than its weight.
Ch3m_

Homework Statement

A hump backed bridge is in the form of a circular arc of radius 35m.
What is the greatest speed with which a car can cross the bridge without leaving the ground at its highest point?

Homework Equations

F = m v2/r = mrω2

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried using the equation above but no speed, angular velocity or mass is given.
Am I missing something?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Ch3m_ said:
I've tried using the equation above but no speed, angular velocity or mass is given.
You're supposed to find the speed!

Ch3m_ said:
Am I missing something?
Do a force analysis of the car as it tops the bridge. Hint: What force tells you when the car is just about to leave contact with the ground?

Doc Al said:
Do a force analysis of the car as it tops the bridge. Hint: What force tells you when the car is just about to leave contact with the ground?

The reaction force..? I still don't get it :(

Ch3m_ said:
The reaction force..?
Yes, the normal force that the bridge exerts on the car. What will its value be when the car is barely making contact with the road? What will ΣF be in that case?

Doc Al said:
Yes, the normal force that the bridge exerts on the car. What will its value be when the car is barely making contact with the road? What will ΣF be in that case?

It must be greater than the weight of the car = mg? I don't know how to get an exact value though

Ch3m_ said:
It must be greater than the weight of the car = mg? I don't know how to get an exact value though
You are making a false assumption. Start from scratch:
What are the forces acting on the car at the highest point?
If the car is moving at speed v, what is the acceleration of the car?
What equation does that give you?
If the car went a little bit too fast it would leave the ground (you are told). What would the reaction force be then?

Likes Ch3m_
What are the forces acting on the car at the highest point?
You have the normal force acting upwards, the cars weight acting downwards and the centripetal force acting downwards?
If the car is moving at speed v, what is the acceleration of the car?
a = v2/r ?
haruspex said:
If the car went a little bit too fast it would leave the ground (you are told). What would the reaction force be then?
Weight + centripetal force so mg + (mv2)/r ?

Ch3m_ said:
You have the normal force acting upwards, the cars weight acting downwards and the centripetal force acting downwards?
No, centripetal force is not an applied force. It is that component of the resultant force which produces the centripetal acceleration.
Ch3m_ said:
a = v2/r ?
Weight - centripetal force so mg - (mv2)/r ?
Yes, that is the normal force whilst in contact with the ground. But if it just on the point of losing contact, what extra does that tell you about the normal force?

Likes Ch3m_
Wait so is it v2=gr?

Ch3m_ said:
Wait so is it v2=gr?
Yes.

Likes Ch3m_
Thanks, that must mean the normal force = 0 when the car is on the point of losing contact yeah?

Ch3m_ said:
Thanks, that must mean the normal force = 0 when the car is on the point of losing contact yeah?
Well, it is because the normal force is zero at that point.

What is rotational motion?

Rotational motion is the movement of an object around an axis or point, rather than in a straight line. It involves both linear motion (movement along a straight path) and angular motion (movement around an axis).

What is centripetal force?

Centripetal force is the force that acts on an object moving in a circular path, directed towards the center of the circle. It keeps the object moving in a circular motion and prevents it from flying off in a straight line.

How is centripetal force related to rotational motion?

Centripetal force is essential in rotational motion because it is the force that causes an object to move in a circular path. Without it, an object would either move in a straight line or fly off in a tangent to the circle.

What is the difference between tangential velocity and angular velocity?

Tangential velocity is the speed at which an object moves along a circular path, while angular velocity is the rate at which an object rotates around an axis. They are related, but tangential velocity is a linear quantity, while angular velocity is an angular quantity.

How does centripetal force affect the mass and velocity of an object?

Centripetal force is directly proportional to the mass and the square of the velocity of an object. This means that as the mass or velocity of an object increases, the centripetal force required to keep it moving in a circle also increases.