Rotational motion homework help

In summary: However, the question asks for the speed of the point on the outer edge of the sphere, which is 1.87m/s + 0.25(35.11) = 10.02 m/sYes, 1.87m/s is the speed of the mass centre. However, the question asks for the speed of the point on the outer edge of the sphere, which is 1.87m/s + 0.25(35.11) = 10.02 m/sIn summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the linear speed of a point on the outer edge of a uniform, solid sphere when its center of mass returns to its position directly below the axle. The participants use conservation of energy
dobiegerl

Homework Statement

A uniform, solid sphere of mass 350 grams and radius 25.0 cm has an axle attached to it tangent to its surface. The axle is oriented horizontally, causing the sphere to be suspended below it, its center of mass directly below the axle. Someone lifts the sphere until its center of mass is at the same vertical level as the axle. Upon releasing it, the sphere begins to rotate counterclockwise about the axle. ) Calculate the linear speed of a point on its outer edge (farthest from the axle) when the sphere’s center of mass returns to its position directly below the axle

Homework Equations

Conservation of energy

The Attempt at a Solution

I started off trying to use KEri + KEti + GPEi = KErf + KEtf + GPEf
After substituting and eliminating I got to gh = 1/2Vf^2 + 1/4Vf^2
And then I got 2.55 m/s but according to the answer key, I should be getting 1.87 m/s. I not sure where I'm going wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
dobiegerl said:
I started off trying to use KEri + KEti + GPEi = KErf + KEtf + GPEf
It might be easier to consider the sphere as purely rotating.

dobiegerl said:
After substituting and eliminating I got to gh = 1/2Vf^2 + 1/4Vf^2
Not sure how you got that. What's Vf? The velocity of the center of mass? What's the moment of inertia of the sphere about the given axis?

Why not compute the angular velocity first?

Doc Al said:
It might be easier to consider the sphere as purely rotating.Not sure how you got that. What's Vf? The velocity of the center of mass? What's the moment of inertia of the sphere about the given axis?

Why not compute the angular velocity first?

That's what I'm trying to do, but I don't know how to without acceleration or time

dobiegerl said:
That's what I'm trying to do, but I don't know how to without acceleration or time
You don't need acceleration or time, just conservation of energy.

Doc Al said:
You don't need acceleration or time, just conservation of energy.

Would I just do KEri = KErf ? Or do I need to include GPE. Because I tried other formulas with conservation of energy and I'm still not getting the correct answer

I am also working on this problem. I've been using conservation of energy and set up the equation:

mgh = ½(2/5mr2)(ω2)

The sphere rotates 90o (based on the diagram we have) and I converted that to (π/2) radians and used that as my height.

After plugging in values for variables I got:

5.393 = 0.004375ω2
after dividing by 0.004375 and taking the square root of that number I got the ω value to be 35.11 rad/s

Using the formula v = rω, I plugged in v = .25(35.11) which gave me the linear velocity of 8.778 m/s.

I'm not quite sure where I went wrong, but it clearly isn't the right answer based on our answer key.

dancingsquirrel said:
I am also working on this problem. I've been using conservation of energy and set up the equation:

mgh = ½(2/5mr2)(ω2)

The sphere rotates 90o (based on the diagram we have) and I converted that to (π/2) radians and used that as my height.

After plugging in values for variables I got:

5.393 = 0.004375ω2
after dividing by 0.004375 and taking the square root of that number I got the ω value to be 35.11 rad/s

Using the formula v = rω, I plugged in v = .25(35.11) which gave me the linear velocity of 8.778 m/s.

I'm not quite sure where I went wrong, but it clearly isn't the right answer based on our answer key.
You went wrong in a number of places.

How can π/2 radians be a height?

You need the moment of inertia about an axis through the edge of the sphere, not through its center. That is unless you use a slightly different method.

SammyS said:
How can π/2 radians be a height?

I realized that I should have used 0.25m as the height, not π/2 radians. As for the rest of the problem, I needed to include KT. After fixing this I finally got the correct answer of 1.87 m/s.

dancingsquirrel said:
I realized that I should have used 0.25m as the height, not π/2 radians. As for the rest of the problem, I needed to include KT. After fixing this I finally got the correct answer of 1.87 m/s.
You may want to show more details of your work. It appears that the given answer may be in error.

SammyS said:
You may want to show more details of your work. It appears that the given answer may be in error.
Yes, 1.87m/s is the speed of the mass centre.

1. What is rotational motion?

Rotational motion is the movement of an object around a fixed axis. It is a type of motion that occurs when an object rotates or spins around a central point.

2. What are some real-life examples of rotational motion?

Some examples of rotational motion include the rotation of a wheel, a merry-go-round, a spinning top, and the Earth's rotation on its axis.

3. How is rotational motion different from linear motion?

Rotational motion involves movement along a curved path around a fixed axis, while linear motion involves movement along a straight path in a single direction.

4. What is the relationship between linear and rotational motion?

Linear and rotational motion are interconnected. Linear motion can cause rotational motion, and rotational motion can cause linear motion. This is known as the principle of conservation of angular momentum.

5. How can I calculate rotational motion?

To calculate rotational motion, you will need to know the object's moment of inertia, angular velocity, and torque. These can be determined using various formulas, such as the parallel axis theorem and Newton's second law for rotational motion.