Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Rotational Motion - Understanding the Idea

1. Feb 6, 2017 #1
    1- I am trying to understand the rotational motion and In most books theres ##\vec θ## unit vector which its, ##\vec θ=(-sinθ,cosθ)##
    I can see that If ##\vec r## unit vector is,##\vec r=(cosθ,sinθ)## then ,

##\frac {d\vec r} {dt}=\vec θ##

Like calculating ##\vec v=\frac {d\vec r} {dt}=R.\frac {dθ} {dt}.\vec θ##

I dont understand why we use this ? Just to make things easier ?

2-And we know that ##\vec a=R∝\vec θ+Rw^2(-\vec r)##
    here
    ##\vec {a_t}=R∝\vec θ## and ##\vec {a_r}=Rw^2(-\vec r)##

I know that If ##a_t## is zero then it becomes uniform circular motion.But In main equations there is an non-zero angular acceleration.So it means do we have to exert ##\vec F=m(-R∝\vec θ)## to create a uniform circular motion ?

Note:This is not a homework question so,I didnt ask there

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 6, 2017 #2
    In general yes. It simplifies rotational motion a lot. For instance, consider uniform circular motion. If you were to stick to ##x## and ##y## coordinates, they would be constantly changing and they become difficult to work with. They are best suited to translational motion because of this. If you use ##r## and ##\theta## coordinates you can immediately see that one derivative is zero, and that the other is simply the angular speed. The reason we use ##\vec \theta## is to give that speed a direction.

No we do need to apply such a force for uniform circular motion. The ##\vec {a_t}## has to be caused by a force. If there is no tangential force, then it is zero. The term appears in the formula because the formula is general, so it works for any value of ##\vec {a_t}##, including zero. You obtain the value of ##\vec {a_t}## from the value of ##\vec F_t##, not the other way round.

4. Feb 6, 2017 #3
    I understand now.Thanks

5. Feb 6, 2017 #4
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted