1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Rotational Motion - Understanding the Idea

1. Feb 6, 2017 #1
    1- I am trying to understand the rotational motion and In most books theres ##\vec θ## unit vector which its, ##\vec θ=(-sinθ,cosθ)##
    I can see that If ##\vec r## unit vector is,##\vec r=(cosθ,sinθ)## then ,

##\frac {d\vec r} {dt}=\vec θ##

Like calculating ##\vec v=\frac {d\vec r} {dt}=R.\frac {dθ} {dt}.\vec θ##

I dont understand why we use this ? Just to make things easier ?

2-And we know that ##\vec a=R∝\vec θ+Rw^2(-\vec r)##
    here
    ##\vec {a_t}=R∝\vec θ## and ##\vec {a_r}=Rw^2(-\vec r)##

I know that If ##a_t## is zero then it becomes uniform circular motion.But In main equations there is an non-zero angular acceleration.So it means do we have to exert ##\vec F=m(-R∝\vec θ)## to create a uniform circular motion ?

Note:This is not a homework question so,I didnt ask there

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 6, 2017 #2
    In general yes. It simplifies rotational motion a lot. For instance, consider uniform circular motion. If you were to stick to ##x## and ##y## coordinates, they would be constantly changing and they become difficult to work with. They are best suited to translational motion because of this. If you use ##r## and ##\theta## coordinates you can immediately see that one derivative is zero, and that the other is simply the angular speed. The reason we use ##\vec \theta## is to give that speed a direction.

No we do need to apply such a force for uniform circular motion. The ##\vec {a_t}## has to be caused by a force. If there is no tangential force, then it is zero. The term appears in the formula because the formula is general, so it works for any value of ##\vec {a_t}##, including zero. You obtain the value of ##\vec {a_t}## from the value of ##\vec F_t##, not the other way round.

4. Feb 6, 2017 #3
    I understand now.Thanks

5. Feb 6, 2017 #4
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted