Why do we need a separate center of gravity idea when we have CoM?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
31 replies · 3K views
kuruman said:
Isn't that what I have?
Sorry I was viewing it on mobile. I had to slide it to see it full
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: kuruman
Physics news on Phys.org
Ryder Rude said:
The center of mass point literally follows the path that a particle of mass M would've followed if the forces on the system were thought of as directly acting on that point.
If the center of gravity (or buoyancy or any other distributed force) is different from the center of mass then the force acts through the center of gravity (etc) and therefore produces a torque about the center of mass. The motion of the body then cannot be described simply by the path of the center of mass. The object will rotate about the center of mass. Modeling this torque is the reason for distinguishing the center of mass from the center of gravity (etc).
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: vanhees71 and Ryder Rude