Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rradiators at high temperatures

1. Aug 8, 2012 #1
    Okay so I've been have a good think about radiators and how they work, in particular the fact that conventionally they work via convection with a bit of radiation at normal temperatures.

But say my radiator is made out of some fancy metal that can withstand extreme temperatures, if I to say whack the temperature from 300-373K (a rough 'normal' operating temp zone) to 1000K+, would my nice convection based radiator transfer its energy primarily by convection, or would it begin to transfer energy primarily by radiation with a bit of convection? If it does change, then why does it?

Last edited: Aug 8, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 8, 2012 #2
    There are infrared heat lamps that use a filament which can reach temperatures around 2000°K. These release a lot more radiation than the typical "radiator" heaters. In fact, they can release over 80% of the power input as radiation, releasing the rest in the form of conduction and convection.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook