1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rubber balloon in electric field

1. Feb 11, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A rubber balloon has a charge q evenly distributed over its surface. It is put into a uniform electric field of 120 N/C. What is the charge inside the balloon?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I thought that E inside would be 120 since before it is put into the electric field, E inside is 0(true or not?). When it is put into the field you use the principle of superposition and they add to 120 N/C?

Any insight to this would be helpful. I handed it in this morning but I'd still like to know if I made correct assumptions.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 11, 2009 #2
    Assuming the balloon to approximate a spherical shell then I'd say you're right about the E-field, but you are missing a step, which is using the polarizability to relate the field to the dipole moment created and ultimately the charge on the inside.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook