Rudin's Equations 3 & 4 Explained

• Thread starter fmegally
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolved around the equations 3 and 4 on page 2 of chapter 1 in "baby Rudin." The participants were unsure of the origin of the equations and suggested consulting the book or posting the equations for clarification.
fmegally
Hello everybody. I started readin baby rudin a few days ago. And i came across equations 3 and 4 on page 2 of chapter 1. They seem a bit mysterious to me, does anybody know where did they come from?

Thanks in advance for your help

Physics news on Phys.org
I asked my professor that same question. They pretty much said that someone really clever (maybe Rudin? I don't know) came up with it.

First, Rudin wrote many texts, notably the analysis texts called, simply "Rudin" and "baby Rudin" but others as well. We don't know which texts you are talking about. Second, even if you told us what text you mean, many of us do not have available to consult. Perhaps if you posted the equations in question?

Related to Rudin's Equations 3 & 4 Explained

1. What are Rudin's Equations 3 & 4?

Rudin's Equations 3 & 4 are mathematical equations developed by the mathematician Walter Rudin. They are part of a series of equations known as the Rudin-Shapiro sequence, which is a special type of sequence in mathematics that has important applications in number theory and signal processing.

2. What is the significance of Rudin's Equations 3 & 4?

Rudin's Equations 3 & 4 are significant because they are integral in understanding the properties of the Rudin-Shapiro sequence. This sequence has been proven to have many interesting and useful properties, making it a valuable tool in various areas of mathematics.

3. How do Rudin's Equations 3 & 4 work?

Rudin's Equations 3 & 4 are recursive equations, meaning that they define a sequence of numbers by using previous terms in the sequence. Specifically, Rudin's Equation 3 is used to calculate the even terms in the sequence, while Rudin's Equation 4 is used to calculate the odd terms.

4. What are some applications of Rudin's Equations 3 & 4?

Rudin's Equations 3 & 4 have various applications in mathematics, particularly in number theory and signal processing. They are used in the construction of pseudorandom number generators, which have important applications in cryptography and computer science. They are also used in the study of fractals and self-similar sets.

5. What is the relationship between Rudin's Equations 3 & 4 and the Fibonacci sequence?

Rudin's Equations 3 & 4 are related to the Fibonacci sequence through the Rudin-Shapiro sequence. The Rudin-Shapiro sequence is a generalization of the Fibonacci sequence, with Rudin's Equations 3 & 4 being used to generate the terms in the sequence. However, the Rudin-Shapiro sequence has more complex properties and is not as well-known as the Fibonacci sequence.