Rules and Staff : Thanks

• Thread starter Chris Hillman
  • Start date
In summary: If one doesn't have javascript enabled, or doesn't want to have javascript enabled, then the quick links button will not work. Logging out, clearing cookies, and logging back in, didn't change the behavior I observe.
Chris Hillman
Science Advisor
"Rules" and "Staff": Thanks!

Hi all,

I just noticed the nifty new links at the top of every PF page as per my requests from long ago--- thanks, that is just what I was asking for! That menu bar is getting a bit crowded but one other useful thing would be an easy to find link to a technical tutorial including pages such as
https://www.physicsforums.com/faq.php
https://www.physicsforums.com/misc.php?do=bbcode https://www.physicsforums.com/misc.php?
and a few pointers on latex markup!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The "staff" button's been there for a while. I agree that the new "rules" link proves very useful; no longer does one need to link to it, but one can simply point to the toolbar at the top.

So what is "Quick Links" supposed to do? I don't think it is working for me. Maybe that is a candidate for being replaced with a "Using PF" button?

Point to ponder: rename "New Posts" button as "Recent Posts"? Since conflict with meaning of "New Topic" button could cause newbie confusion.

Last edited:
If you click on quick links you should get a little drop down menu with things like "user control panel" "who's online" and "private messages," along with some other things.

Chris Hillman said:
So what is "Quick Links" supposed to do? I don't think it is working for me. Maybe that is a candidate for being replaced with a "Using PF" button?

Point to ponder: rename "New Posts" button as "Recent Posts"? Since conflict with meaning of "New Topic" button could cause newbie confusion.

There are a number of things under the quick links button...it's a drop-down menu. Not sure why it's not working for you. For example, you can get to today's posts, or your subscribed threads, or access several features of the user control panel through the quick links menu.

Is anyone else having trouble with that?

I had a problem with the QuickLinks.
If my Firefox search bar at the bottom is active, then the pop-out menu quickly closes immediately.
Other times, I found that it helps to clean out my cookies and/or logout-then-login.

I use it for viewing my subscribed threads.

I use IE and don't have any trouble.

This button is definitely not working for me, but maybe: not to worry

cristo said:
If you click on quick links you should get a little drop down menu with things like "user control panel" "who's online" and "private messages," along with some other things.

Left click or right click? Neither action has the expected effect for me.

Evo: the problem might be that I try to use the minimal necessary permissions while browsing, but I can make exceptions on a site by site basis if the benefit seems worth the (security) risk. I kinda doubt that cookies could be the cause of my "problem", but a certain reluctance to let javascript or php scripts do anything they will very well could explain the behavior I am seeing (or rather, not seeing).

Rob, FWIW logging out, clearing cookies, and logging back in, didn't change the behavior I observe.

Last edited:
Chris Hillman said:
Left click or right click? Neither action has the expected effect for me.
Left click.

Evo: the problem might be that I try to use the minimal necessary permissions while browsing, but I can make exceptions on a site by site basis if the benefit seems worth the (security) risk. I kinda doubt that cookies could be the cause of my "problem", but a certain reluctance to let javascript or php scripts do anything they will very well could explain the behavior I am seeing (or rather, not seeing).
That is indeed the problem: I've played around a little, and it seems that one needs to have javascript turned on to enable the little drop down menu to appear.

1. What are the rules and regulations for the staff at your institution?

The rules and regulations for staff at our institution are outlined in the employee handbook which covers topics such as conduct, dress code, attendance, and performance expectations.

2. How are the rules and regulations enforced for staff members?

The rules and regulations for staff are enforced through regular performance evaluations, disciplinary actions, and communication with supervisors. We also have a designated HR representative who oversees employee compliance.

3. Are there consequences for not following the rules and regulations as a staff member?

Yes, there are consequences for not following the rules and regulations as a staff member. Depending on the severity of the infraction, consequences can range from a verbal warning to termination of employment.

4. How often are the rules and regulations for staff updated?

The rules and regulations for staff are regularly reviewed and updated as needed. Changes are communicated to employees through email and/or the employee handbook.

5. Can staff members provide feedback or suggestions for changes to the rules and regulations?

Yes, staff members are encouraged to provide feedback and suggestions for changes to the rules and regulations. This feedback is taken into consideration during the review and update process.