Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rules and Staff : Thanks!

1. Oct 28, 2007 #1

Chris Hillman

Science Advisor

"Rules" and "Staff": Thanks!

Hi all,

I just noticed the nifty new links at the top of every PF page as per my requests from long ago--- thanks, that is just what I was asking for! That menu bar is getting a bit crowded but one other useful thing would be an easy to find link to a technical tutorial including pages such as
    https://www.physicsforums.com/faq.php
    https://www.physicsforums.com/misc.php?do=bbcode https://www.physicsforums.com/misc.php?
    and a few pointers on latex markup!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 28, 2007 #2

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The "staff" button's been there for a while. I agree that the new "rules" link proves very useful; no longer does one need to link to it, but one can simply point to the toolbar at the top.

4. Oct 28, 2007 #3

Chris Hillman

Science Advisor

So what is "Quick Links" supposed to do? I don't think it is working for me. Maybe that is a candidate for being replaced with a "Using PF" button?

Point to ponder: rename "New Posts" button as "Recent Posts"? Since conflict with meaning of "New Topic" button could cause newbie confusion.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2007
  5. Oct 28, 2007 #4

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

If you click on quick links you should get a little drop down menu with things like "user control panel" "who's online" and "private messages," along with some other things.

6. Oct 28, 2007 #5

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

There are a number of things under the quick links button...it's a drop-down menu. Not sure why it's not working for you. For example, you can get to today's posts, or your subscribed threads, or access several features of the user control panel through the quick links menu.

Is anyone else having trouble with that?

7. Oct 28, 2007 #6

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I had a problem with the QuickLinks.
    If my Firefox search bar at the bottom is active, then the pop-out menu quickly closes immediately.
    Other times, I found that it helps to clean out my cookies and/or logout-then-login.

I use it for viewing my subscribed threads.

8. Oct 28, 2007 #7

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I use IE and don't have any trouble.

9. Oct 29, 2007 #8

Chris Hillman

Science Advisor

This button is definitely not working for me, but maybe: not to worry

Left click or right click? Neither action has the expected effect for me.

Evo: the problem might be that I try to use the minimal neccessary permissions while browsing, but I can make exceptions on a site by site basis if the benefit seems worth the (security) risk. I kinda doubt that cookies could be the cause of my "problem", but a certain reluctance to let javascript or php scripts do anything they will very well could explain the behavior I am seeing (or rather, not seeing).

Rob, FWIW logging out, clearing cookies, and logging back in, didn't change the behavior I observe.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2007
  10. Oct 29, 2007 #9

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Left click.

That is indeed the problem: I've played around a little, and it seems that one needs to have javascript turned on to enable the little drop down menu to appear.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?