1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rusty - fill in missing steps, please

1. Sep 8, 2006 #1
    Hello everyone,

I'm taking a high level Geometry course, and as it turns out, I'm a tad out of touch on at least one basic aspect learned years passed.

Parabola with equation [tex] y^2 = 2x[/tex], and parametric equation [tex] x = \frac{1}{2}t^2, y = t (t \in \Re) [/tex] etc.

The problem is concered with finding the equation of the chord that joins the distinct points P and Q on the parabola w/ parameters [tex] t_1 [/tex] and [tex] t_2 [/tex] respectively, etc.

No that much of that was relevant to my quandray, which is in finding the gradient of PQ.
    [tex] m = \frac{t_1 - t_2}{{\frac{1}{2}(t_1^2 - t_2^2)} = \frac{2}{t_1 + t_2} [\tex]
    edit: sorry, I guess I didn't get that tex tag right (what is wrong with it? Can I nest fractions like that?)

m = (t1 - t2)/[.5(t1^2 - t2^2)] = 2/(t1 + t2).

I can't remember (if I had learned it that is) how they arrived from the first to the latter fraction.

An explanation would be quite welcome, thanks.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 8, 2006 #2

StatusX

Homework Helper

Are you asking why:

[tex]\frac{t_1-t_2}{\frac{1}{2} ({t_1}^2-{t_2}^2)}=\frac{2}{t_1+t_2}[/tex]

? If so, remember that [itex]a^2-b^2=(a-b)(a+b)[/itex]. And you can click on the equation above to see how I got it working. I think you have an extra {.

4. Sep 8, 2006 #3

Thanks, I guess I wasn't looking at it the right way.

Did you need the {'s around each t in the denominator?

5. Sep 8, 2006 #4

StatusX

Homework Helper

No, but it makes it look nicer. {...}^2 puts the two above and to the right of the whole expression. If you just wrote t_1^2, you get some looks like a tensor element:

[tex] {t_1}^2 [/tex] vs [tex] t_1^2[/tex]

6. Sep 8, 2006 #5
    Yoss, your last equation... you used a backslash to close the tex tag is all you got wrong.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?