Are There Safe Laser Pointers for Eye Use in Clubs and Shows?

In summary, there are no completely safe laser pointers for the eyes, but lower power lasers are less damaging and can be used as pointers. Class 1 and 2 devices are generally safe, while Class 3 and 4 require precautions and may be restricted in some countries. It is important to know the class of a laser before purchasing it. Even short exposures to Class 2 and 3 lasers can cause severe temporary or permanent eye damage, and there is no pain warning. It is never safe to point a laser at someone's eyes, even if the visible light is not bright enough to cause damage. Laser shows in clubs and shows can be nerve-wracking, but as long as the lasers are low power and moving quickly,
rodsika
Are their laser pointers that are totally safe for the eyes? What kind to look for?

Science news on Phys.org
I don't believe there are lasers that are totally safe for the eyes. The lower the power of the laser, the less damage it will cause if it is shone at the eyes. ... Still, it's best not to stare into the laser with your remaining eye.

Last edited:
Class 1 laser devices are safe under all conditions.
Class 2 devices are safe unless you deliberately stare into the beam. If the beam accidentally hits your eye, your automatic "blink reflex" will be fast enough to protect your vision.

Note, there may be a letter after the class number, like 1M or 2a.

Class 3 and 4 devices are NOT safe unless you take precautions using them. In some countries there are legal restrictions about owning and using them (especially class 4).

Low power laser pointers are class 2. These are perfectly adequate for use as laser pointers.

The "pointers" advertised and sold as "high power" or "burning" lasers, are usually class 3 devices.

If a laser is advertised or sold without saying what class it is, then don't buy it!

jhae2.718 said:
Of course, at the power most laser pointers are at, you have to stare at them pretty long for damage to occur.

That is not correct. Shining a class 2 laser into your eyes for 5 or 10 seconds can cause severe temporary problems (e.g. total sight loss in the eye for several days). Class 3 lasers can cause irreversible sight damage in a few secoinds.

Be aware that your eyes do not contain any nerves that "feel pain", so there is no warning of the damage you may be causing.

Also, be aware that because of the way certain lasers generate their light, they can generate a lower or higher wavelength of light that your eye cannot see and will not produce a blink reflex. This makes it very easy to damage your eye if you look into the laser, as the laser visual light itself may not be bright enough to cause damage or cause you to blink, but the non visible wavelengths can be causing damage.

Simply put, NEVER EVER EVER point ANY laser into someones eye or look into one, no matter what.

In some clubs and shows, they shoot lasers all over the crowd. It would make me so nervous.

AlephZero said:
That is not correct. Shining a class 2 laser into your eyes for 5 or 10 seconds can cause severe temporary problems (e.g. total sight loss in the eye for several days). Class 3 lasers can cause irreversible sight damage in a few secoinds.

Be aware that your eyes do not contain any nerves that "feel pain", so there is no warning of the damage you may be causing.

I worded that poorly and ambiguously. By long time I meant around the > 5 s range (which to me seemed a ridiculously long time to stare into a laser).

Thank you for pointing that out.

Dr Lots-o'watts said:
In some clubs and shows, they shoot lasers all over the crowd. It would make me so nervous.

Agreed. However, I am assuming that the moving lasers are at a low enough power and moving quick enough that even it one passes over your eye you "shouldn't" receive any eye damage. But one can never be too careful eh?

1. What is a safe laser pointer for eyes?

A safe laser pointer for eyes is a laser pointer that has been tested and certified to be within safe limits for human eye exposure. These limits are determined by the International Electrotechnical Commission (IEC) and are measured in milliwatts (mW).

2. What are the potential risks of using a laser pointer on eyes?

Using a laser pointer on eyes, especially those with higher power levels, can cause damage to the retina and potentially lead to permanent vision loss. The laser beam can also cause a temporary flash blindness, making it difficult to see for a short period of time.

3. How can I ensure the laser pointer I am using is safe for eyes?

You can ensure the safety of a laser pointer for eyes by checking its power rating and comparing it to the recommended safe limits set by the IEC. Additionally, look for a warning label on the laser pointer indicating that it is safe for use on human eyes.

4. Are there any regulations or guidelines for safe laser pointers for eyes?

Yes, there are regulations and guidelines set by the IEC for safe laser pointers. In the United States, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) also regulates laser products and has specific guidelines for laser pointers to ensure they are safe for use by the general public.

5. Can children use a laser pointer on their own?

Children should always be supervised when using a laser pointer. They should also be taught about the potential risks and how to use the laser pointer safely, such as avoiding pointing it at people's eyes and not looking directly into the laser beam.