Laser and nano-holes experiment

James_AA
TL;DR Summary
An optical experiment is proposed to validate points
Hi everyone, let me propose an experiment to see if you agree with my points. There is a 1cm2 1-micron thick aluminum substrate with a matrix of 100x100 nano-holes each with 100x100nanometers cross section separated by 100nanometers. Then, we focus a 1W laser with visible wavelength:
drawing.jpg

1- UNDETECTABLE:

The matrix of nan-holes is equivalent to a square of 10,000x10,000nm which is a surface of 1E08nm2 = 1E-010m2

The 1W laser produces 1J per second which is 1 kg⋅m2⋅s−3 in the calculated surface of 1E-010m2 equals to 1E-010J= 0.1 nanowatts.

So, even assuming total transmission, such 0.1 nanowatts are undetectable by conventional high sensitivity optical power sensors (normally, 10nW minimum detectable power).

2-ALTERANTIVE:

A 5W laser is used for non-industrial laser cutting so to avoid burning the 1-micron substrate, 1W was chosen. However, even increasing the power to 4W would still make it undetectable. A solution could be using a 100W high power LED plus some lenses. Or even the following 1,500W LED:

[Spammy link deleted by the Mentors]

3-POINTLESS:

Being nano-holes at the subwavelength scale of light, no optical transmission is posible.

So, thanks for reading and let me know your thoughts.

Last edited by a moderator:
Science news on Phys.org
James_AA said:
TL;DR Summary: An optical experiment is proposed to validate points

Being nano-holes at the subwavelength scale of light, no optical transmission is posible.
Where did you get that idea from? The attenuation of a small hole increases with size but it is never complete.
James_AA said:

The 1W laser produces 1J per second which is 1 kg⋅m2⋅s−3
and could you walk me through that one?

Likes DaveE
James_AA said:

Hi everyone, let me propose an experiment to see if you agree with my points. There is a 1cm2 1-micron thick aluminum substrate with a matrix of 100x100 nano-holes each with 100x100nanometers cross section separated by 100nanometers. Then, we focus a 1W laser with visible wavelength:
Your array only spans (100* 200nm) = 20 microns, not 1 cm, so your disk is mostly solid and nontransmissive. What area of the disk is illuminated by your 'focused' laser beam? What "optical experiment" are you proposing, and what "points" are you trying to validate?

1. What is the purpose of the laser and nano-holes experiment?

The purpose of this experiment is to study the interaction between light and matter at the nanoscale level. By using a laser to create tiny holes in a material, we can observe how light behaves and is affected by these nanostructures.

2. How is the laser used in this experiment?

The laser is used to create precise and controlled nano-sized holes in a material. By focusing the laser beam onto the surface of the material, we can create holes with diameters as small as a few nanometers.

3. What materials are typically used in this experiment?

The materials used in this experiment can vary, but typically they are thin films of metals, semiconductors, or dielectrics. These materials are chosen for their ability to interact with light and for their durability under the intense heat and pressure of the laser beam.

4. What are some potential applications of this experiment?

This experiment has potential applications in various fields, such as nanotechnology, optics, and materials science. It can be used to create new types of sensors, improve the efficiency of solar cells, and study the behavior of light in novel materials.

5. What are some challenges of conducting this experiment?

One of the main challenges of this experiment is the precision and control required to create and study the nano-sized holes. The materials used must also be carefully selected and prepared to ensure accurate results. Additionally, the intense laser beam can pose safety hazards and requires specialized equipment and training to handle.