Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Best laser pointer for optics lab?

1. Nov 3, 2014 #1
    I'm serching around the web to find the best laser poiter (with real safety class). the below one is the only thing that I could find:
    https://www.amazon.com/LASER-Blox-S..._3?s=industrial&ie=UTF8&qid=1415034906&sr=1-3
    Do you know any other brands suitable for educational goals? we need to use laser pointer for some experiments such as lenses experiment. Lasers should have on-off button, safe ray and magnet.

(There's many chinese products that I can't trust them!)

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 8, 2014 #2
    Thanks for the post! Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

4. Nov 16, 2014 #3
    I'm searching for a well-known brand for safe laser pointer. Internet is full of chinese products! I thought maybe someone knows a good brand in his/her country.

5. Nov 16, 2014 #4

e.bar.goum

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Well, this is kind of a big question. Maybe you'll get some more help if you be more specific. What kind wavelength do you require? What kind of power?

"Safe" in terms of lasers is an interesting term. You'll probably want something in the visible wavelengths, with power low enough that the blink reflex will save you - so class 1 or 2. However, nothing can make up for proper safe behaviour around lasers.

If you buy a green laser, make sure it has the appropriate filter on it - green lasers are made by frequency doubling an IR laser, and really cheap laser pointers will tend to leave out the filter to remove the IR part.

Most lasers used in physics experiments aren't laser pointers.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook