Safe Mode in Windows Vista, General?

In summary, the conversation is about trying to enter safe mode in Windows Vista (2007 version) to disable malware, but having trouble with the standard instructions. Suggestions are made to try hitting different F keys or using the command prompt, and it is mentioned that Vista has known security and stability issues. The idea of upgrading or downgrading to a different operating system is brought up. Finally, different methods for entering safe mode are shared, including using the msconfig utility.
WWGD
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Hi all,
I was trying to get into safe mode in Windows Vista (2007 version) to disable some malware that had installed itself through the web. The standard instructions -- restart and press F8 just before the computer starts up seems to not work. I have heard that newer editions of Windows started/loaded too quickly to do this, but I am still having trouble with this relatively old version of Windows. Anyone have an idea? Thanks.

Computer science news on Phys.org
Try hitting F10, F12 also.

Likes WWGD
Wow, that was quick. Any suggestion for mind-reading tricks too ;) ?

Likes Borg
Any chance you know if there is a way of entering safe mode through the command prompt?

WWGD said:
Wow, that was quick. Any suggestion for mind-reading tricks too ;) ?
Different companies often set them different. If I have trouble getting into safe mode, I usually just turn it on and start hammering the F keys from 8 up.

Likes WWGD
WWGD said:
Any chance you know if there is a way of entering safe mode through the command prompt?
Not that I know of.

Older Win versions seemed to want a repeated push-release-push sequence during bootup. This is because, when it was getting ready for keyboard input, it would first clear the keyboard input buffer, wait a brief period, then check for a keypress. About two or three keypresses per second would generally get its attention. Worth a shot.

Likes WWGD
Tom.G said:
Older Win versions seemed to want a repeated push-release-push sequence during bootup. This is because, when it was getting ready for keyboard input, it would first clear the keyboard input buffer, wait a brief period, then check for a keypress. About two or three keypresses per second would generally get its attention. Worth a shot.
Part of the problem as I have read is that for whatever reason microsoft has sped up the boot up process to the point that it is extremely difficult to hit the necessary ( or any) key before the OS loads.

Provided that you can normally boot Windows, you can open a command prompt and run:
Code:
Start msconfig
. A window will open and on the upper left corner there is the "General" tab. From there you choose the type of start up (Normal, Diagnostic, Selective). The next tab is "Boot" and you can select Safe Mode there. Of course you can just press [Windows] +R and type msconfig.exe and then OK to launch Microsoft Configuration Utility, but I gave the previous tip just in case you're already at the command prompt and you want to run the utility directly.

Likes WWGD
its up to your computer brand. Normaly is F9

WWGD said:
Anyone have an idea?

I'd like to add to everything that's already been said here that Vista is known to have a number of intractable security and stability problems. Is upgrading to Windows 7 or downgrading to Windows XP an option?

Likes WWGD
jack476 said:
I'd like to add to everything that's already been said here that Vista is known to have a number of intractable security and stability problems. Is upgrading to Windows 7 or downgrading to Windows XP an option?
Good question; it is an old system from 2007 and I don't know if the architecture will allow it, will it? And it is also a computer at work, so I need to ask the boss. Thanks to all for your comments.

Either upgrading or downgrading the OS brings up device driver issues. Make sure the needed applications and hardware are compatible with an OS change. I'm running XP on this machine and it is getting tough to find drivers for newer peripherals, much less ANY commercial applications that will run on it. Also Microsoft has been forcing upgrades from Win7 to Win10 every time you connect to the Internet.

ulios21 said:
its up to your computer brand. Normaly is F9
But problem is that Microsoft has sped up the bootup process to the extent that there is no time to hit the key. By the time you do it , the OS is already loaded or almost.

Here's another method:
Start Windows normally. When getting into the desktop, press the Win + R key combinations, type msconfig in the Run box.
Click the Boot tab, check the "Safe boot" option and click OK. Reboot and the computer will boot to safe mode automatically.

Likes WWGD

What is Safe Mode in Windows Vista?

Safe Mode is a diagnostic mode in Windows Vista that starts the computer with a minimal set of drivers and services. It is used to troubleshoot and fix issues that may be preventing the computer from starting normally.

How do I access Safe Mode in Windows Vista?

To access Safe Mode in Windows Vista, you need to restart your computer and press the F8 key repeatedly before the Windows logo appears. This will bring up the Advanced Boot Options menu, where you can select Safe Mode.

What are the benefits of using Safe Mode?

Safe Mode allows you to boot your computer with only essential system components, which can help identify and fix problems with your operating system. It also provides a way to uninstall recently installed software or drivers that may be causing issues.

Can I access the internet in Safe Mode?

No, by default, internet access is disabled in Safe Mode. However, you can access the internet in Safe Mode with Networking, which loads additional drivers necessary for internet connectivity.

How do I exit Safe Mode in Windows Vista?

To exit Safe Mode, simply restart your computer and it will boot normally. You can also choose the "Exit Safe Mode" option from the Advanced Boot Options menu.