1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sakurai 1.17 - Operators and Complete Eigenkets

1. Dec 16, 2008 #1
    I'm pretty sure this is correct, but could someone verify for rigor?

Two observables [tex]A_1[/tex] and [tex]A_2[/tex], which do not involve time explicitly, are known not to commute, yet we also know that [tex]A_1[/tex] and [tex]A_2[/tex] both commute with the Hamiltonian. Prove that the energy eigenstates are, in general, degenerate. Are there exceptions?

The attempt at a solution
    Since [tex][H,A_1]=0[/tex], we know that there are complete eigenkets that [tex]A_1[/tex] and [tex]H[/tex] share. The same is true for [tex]A_2[/tex]. Now, generally, two observables that do not commute do not share eigenkets. Thus, we know that there exist two distinct eigenstates such that [tex]H|a\ket = e|a\ket[/tex]; particularly, each [tex]|a\ket[/tex] can be brought from the eigenkets of [tex]A_1,A_2[/tex].
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 16, 2008 #2
    come on 25 views and no post? :(
  4. Dec 16, 2008 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Impatience is not a virtue. Can't A1 and A2 commute on a subspace without commuting on the whole space?
  5. Dec 16, 2008 #4
    Heh, it was more of a bump since it was already on the second page :) Yes, they can, but the question asks "generally," and "generally" this doesn't happen, right?
  6. Dec 16, 2008 #5

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Ok, considered as a teasing bump. But the question asks, are there exceptions? I.e. could there be energy eigenstates that aren't degenerate? At least that's how I read it.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?